No announcement yet.

AMDGPU-PRO doesn't work with receiver, ubuntu is not finding display Bug report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO doesn't work with receiver, ubuntu is not finding display Bug report

I have installed AMDGPU-PRO driver 17.40 on ubuntu 16.04 with a rx 580 and it works correctly as long as i connect the HDMI directly to TV. When i connect the HDMI to the Receiver (DENON X4300) ubuntu does not find the display. As i use the computer for gaming and movies i need sound through HDMI and the pro driver. To get another HDMI cable and connect to my tv is a workaround. I have worked on this for a day and a half only to come to the conclusion that AMDGPU-PRO driver is the culprit.

Anyone knows how to submit the bug to the AMD pro driver team?

Interesting question. I don't know what EDID information the receiver supplies to the card but that will probably be the key issue - either the receiver is sending wacky EDID info or the EDID info is valid but not recognized by the kernel driver.

File a ticket at bugs.freedesktop.org -> DRI -> DRM/AMDgpu or DRM/AMDgpu-pro. Strictly speaking the AMDgpu-pro bucket is for issues which do not reproduce on the all-open driver (DRM-AMDgpu).
    Test signature

Comment

The thing is that the opensource driver for ubuntu works for everything exempt sound through hdmi. It connects to my reciever and tv without any issues. The AMDGPU-PRO driver doesn't work with my receiver and only works when it connect directly to my TV. With the pro driver the sound through hdmi mosly works but it does not work to send sound back to the reciever through the hdmi-arc. With both nvidia and intel graphics there is no issues with sound, receiver or tv. I am suspect that the the pro driver does not send out valid sound signal or picture signal so that all devices play nice. As i use the computer with ubuntu i put in an Nvidia card instead as the intel i3 couldn't handle 4k material very well.

Comment

The point is that sound on amd cards under linux has issues that makes it partly unfit as a part of a home theater. If it takes up cpu cycles is a small hit as a home theater is used mostly for movies and sometimes for games, at least for me. But that doesn't really matter as it simply doesnt work as it should and needs to be adressed anyway someone want to use their graphics card.

To use an AMD graphics card as a part of a home theater it is important that sound is great and to use analog is not a good solution. To use a digital cable for sound is not optimal either. As it looks now the sound through hdmi doesnt work well on either driver for amd rx cards which is unfortunate.

I gave up on AMD graphics card under linux for more reasons as cryptomining is not that great either as you first need to flash the cards under windows. Then if i am not mistaken it is not possible to control the card in the necessary ways to make it efficient for mining in linux anyways, please correct me if i am wrong! I am doing some ehthereum mining and only get about 17-18 MH/s on one stock rx 580 and it runs really hot about 60-80 degrees C and i cannot change timings in any way unless i flash the cards first. I am moving over to Nvidia for now as mining is great and overclocking is simple and sound works perfectly under Linux. I was hoping so much that i could use AMD all the way as i really like their open source strategy, but if it doesnt work it doesnt :-(

Comment

When i mine i have set the fans to 70 percent btw :-)

Comment

Working...
          X