No announcement yet.

Geometry Shader Support For RadeonSI's NIR Back-End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> That said, non-TGSI shaders have been feeding into Gallium3D drivers for at least 6 years (we passed LLVM IR into the r600 and radeonsi drivers to support CLover) and I expect other drivers also have done that in the past.

I think I should refresh my knowledge. But "feeding into Gallium3D" it does not mean convert from TGSI to LLVM IR?

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

Do you? I'd certainly love a link some documentation. Last time I looked for that (3 years ago or something) I only ended up on some Chinese websites where those parts that were in English never went into any kind of detail …
      For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Very first link.

It doesn't mention TGSI at all. What it does say, just for a start, is

The Gallium3D Interface

The public interface of a Gallium3D driver is described by the src/gallium/include/*.h header files.

The pipe_context structure (in p_context.h) is an abstract base class with per-context methods for:
      • Setting rendering state (texture sampler state, blending state, rasterization state, vertex array info, drawing surfaces, etc.)
      • Setting shader state, using the TGSI binary shader representation.
      • Vertex array and indexed vertex array drawing.

The p_state.h file defines data structures for things such as:
      • Graphics state (blending, texture sampling, rasterization)
      • Texture and surface resources
      • Vertex array layout

The pipe_screen structure is an abstract base class with context-independent methods for:
      • Creating textures (and drawing surfaces)
      • Getting "views" into textures
      • Hardware queries (number of texture units, max texture size, etc).
      • Creating generic memory buffers
      • Mapping/unmapping buffers
      • Fencing

By abstracting OS and window system services, pipe drivers are portable to other platforms (e.g. embedded devices).

Additional Gallium3D interface information.

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
        I think I should refresh my knowledge. But "feeding into Gallium3D" it does not mean convert from TGSI to LLVM IR?
        It only does for drivers which use an LLVM-based shader compiler, which is probably less than half of the actively maintained drivers.

Other drivers either convert TGSI into the native IR of whatever they are using for a shader compiler (typically something written specifically for that GPU) or directly translate each TGSI operation into native hardware instructions.
        Test signature

Comment

Working...
        X