Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon VCN Encode Support For RadeonSI Gallium3D

Phoronix: Radeon VCN Encode Support For RadeonSI Gallium3D

Earlier this year patches were posted and merged for VCN video decode support with RadeonSI/Gallium3D while now patches are coming from AMD for wiring up VCN video encoding support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will it help accelerating decoding of VP9 on desktop Vega?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      As mentioned in the article, VCN isn't used/supported by RX Vega desktop GPUs. Support only premieres with Raven.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        There is no amd hardware which even has a proper hardware decoder for vp9 (don't know about Raven) and the hybrid aproach available on windows is, in my opinion, not really desirable anyways. On typical desktop systems the cpu is more then fast enough to do the decoding and i doubt you'd get relevant power savings.

Comment

heh Waiting for[strike]Vega[/strike] Navi

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
            On typical desktop systems the cpu is more then fast enough to do the decoding and i doubt you'd get relevant power savings.

Um, I can't speak for VP9 exactly but e.g. x265 in normal HD kept my Ath.II 645 fairly busy on all 4 cores (~30 %) but with ASIC based acceleration it's definitely less. So you usually do have good power savings if you can do things with an ASIC. I'd expect the same for VP9.
            Fast enough on not-low-end desktops to play, yes, mobile maybe, but power consumption will surely be higher.

Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

Um, I can't speak for VP9 exactly but e.g. x265 in normal HD kept my Ath.II 645 fairly busy on all 4 cores (~30 %) but with ASIC based acceleration it's definitely less. So you usually do have good power savings if you can do things with an ASIC. I'd expect the same for VP9.
              Fast enough on not-low-end desktops to play, yes, mobile maybe, but power consumption will surely be higher.
              VP9 is significantly less demanding to decode on CPU. It's actually closer to AVC than HEVC.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

Yes, but my point was that no currently available amd hardware has ASIC based vp9 decoding and I don't expect anything significant from their shader based hybrid approach.

Comment

VP9 is a dead end. Or has everyone not noticed Google is no longer driving its development and have combined its foundation with Cisco's solution?

It's not going to win in Hollywood, not ever.

Comment

Michael any news related to AV1 (Alliance for Open Media format)?

Comment

Working...
                    X