AMDKFD For Linux 4.15 Adding Usermode Events, Dropping Radeon DRM Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDKFD For Linux 4.15 Adding Usermode Events, Dropping Radeon DRM Support

Phoronix: AMDKFD For Linux 4.15 Adding Usermode Events, Dropping Radeon DRM Support

Building off an earlier update in DRM-Next of upstreaming more AMDKFD changes for Linux 4.15, a second batch of feature work was proposed today for merging into DRM-Next...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All the things are coming together nicely! in a few kernel releases time full open source world domination (and some fixes and tweaks)

Comment

So...if I understand this correctly... to use ROCM (through AMDKFD) on my Fury dcard without a custom kernel, I need to wait for Kernel 4.16 while with an APU I should be able to use 4.15? (Or have I misunderstood everything?)

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
        So...if I understand this correctly... to use ROCM (through AMDKFD) on my Fury dcard without a custom kernel, I need to wait for Kernel 4.16 while with an APU I should be able to use 4.15? (Or have I misunderstood everything?)
        No, you can't run a Fury card with AMDKFD. AMDKFD is designed for APUs and won't work for a dGPU.
        You'll want to use a custom kernel if you want to run ROCm today (it's not that scary to compile a new kernel. You can always boot the old one if you done something wrong). And I belief some GPUs can run ROCm with a standard 4.15 kernel. Not sure which though.. Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by marty1885 View Post
          AMDKFD is designed for APUs and won't work for a dGPU.
          Have to disagree here... amdkfd was initially developed for APUs (although we did early coding/testing on Tahiti + Trinity until Kaveri silicon was available) but we started adding dGPU support to amdkfd a couple of years ago as part of the ROC effort. Once the current round of amdkfd updates is finished and upstream you will be able to run ROCm on a dGPU with a standard kernel.

Note that "didn't make it into 4.15" is not the same as "will make it into 4.16", at least not until all of the changes have been pushed out, reviewed, and accepted into drm-next for 4.16.

And I belief some GPUs can run ROCm with a standard 4.15 kernel. Not sure which though.. Anyone?
          No GPUs can run ROCm today with a standard 4.15 kernel. That said, on kernels supported by the 17.30/17.40 AMDGPU-PRO driver Vega can run on standard kernels but that is done by replacing the amdgpu and amdkfd modules (and a couple of others IIRC) with new ones.
          Last edited by bridgman; 03 November 2017, 04:16 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Have to disagree here... amdkfd was initially developed for APUs (although we did early coding/testing on Tahiti + Trinity until Kaveri silicon was available) but we started adding dGPU support to amdkfd a couple of years ago as part of the ROC effort. Once the current round of amdkfd updates is finished and upstream you will be able to run ROCm on a dGPU with a standard kernel.

Note that "didn't make it into 4.15" is not the same as "will make it into 4.16", at least not until all of the changes have been pushed out, reviewed, and accepted into drm-next for 4.16.

No GPUs can run ROCm today with a standard 4.15 kernel. That said, on kernels supported by the 17.30/17.40 AMDGPU-PRO driver Vega can run on standard kernels but that is done by replacing the amdgpu and amdkfd modules (and a couple of others IIRC) with new ones.
            Thank you for the answer

Comment

You'll want to use a custom kernel if you want to run ROCm today (it's not that scary to compile a new kernel
              not scary, but stupid. someone already did that for you, you just have to install relevant package

Comment

Working...
              X