AMD's Open-Source Strategy Is Now Ten Years Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
    bug77 These missing features are critical and users shouldn't use various methods ( like using different kernels other than mainline , overriding some games using compat profiles in order to run them ) for good experience.
    I totally agree with you there (that's why I'm on Nvidia). I was just saying how AMD also has a (very good at this point) chance to have something great as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

I thought GL compat profiles are essentially missing by design in all Mesa drivers.
      I knew that was going to change, from a business standpoint it doesn't make any sense to develop two separate stacks, and so instead it was a develop-merge-replace strategy and I wouldn't be too surprised if in the long run that Windows also picks up the Mesa stack for OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        ...in the long run that Windows also picks up the Mesa stack for OpenGL.
        Looks like opengl is dead on windows now because of vulkan so too much works and no benefits for this change i think.
        Even on linux we want more and more vulkan even for apps that don't need this.

Comment

Eeeh... it was not a terribly fun ride for people wanting a decent AMD driver, but at least now we are getting close.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
            The drivers have become pretty good, and the situation is way better than it was earlier, but there are still many holes/problems compared to Intel GPU drivers. Intel drivers are solid - they Just Work(TM).
            For me, buying an AMD RX 460 for one computer that is used for non-mission-critical stuff was the first experiment after having been less than satisfied with fglrx many years ago. I'm still using Intel GPUs on all mission-critical computers, and I share your view: While the situation has improved a lot with "amdgpu", the one thing that still bothers me is the lack of stability. On the systems using Intel GPUs, they just never crashed on me, even when using all kinds of GPU intensive stuff. With amdgpu, I'm still in a range of only days until the next mysterious kernel crash.

I can understand that for those who just want to play 3D games on Linux, they might not be bothered as much by those stability issues, but I am.

I sure hope that after the integration of amdgpu into mainline there will be time for finally making this driver not the determining factor of one's "uptime".

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post

Looks like opengl is dead on windows now because of vulkan so too much works and no benefits for this change i think.
              Even on linux we want more and more vulkan even for apps that don't need this.
              OpenGL may be dead on Windows (and has been for a very very very long time going back around a decade or so to the fallout over Windows Vista), but AMD isn't going to drop it from the Windows driver, however once they get compat profiles support in, there's no reason really for them to continue maintaining the proprietary OpenGL stack, which will free up their very limited resources that were otherwise being wasted.

What it looks like to me is that probably the Windows driver will be the open source driver + a closed source DirectX stack unless they really decide to go all the way here, which I don't expect unless Valve, Feral, or whoever decide that they're going to implement DirectX in the Mesa Drivers to make porting easier for themselves (yes there are the current various efforts but AMD doesn't really have adequate incentive at the moment to go through all the trouble of rewriting their DirectX stack, note: If game devs were to pick up their vulkan stack in a big way once it's open sourced that equation will likely change), at which point AMD may jump on board.

Also: 2222'nd post, woo

Comment

Luke_Wolf
                ​​​​​​​Or maybe they just stay with their opengl stack for Windows because it works. I don't really know. Compat profile...it crazy stuff, Marek O. send patches for 3.1 but there is a long road to 4.5.
                but overall yes. It will be much fun: Mesa for Windows in official way.

​​​​​​and congrats for 2222. Happy 2223

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                  For me, buying an AMD RX 460 for one computer that is used for non-mission-critical stuff was the first experiment after having been less than satisfied with fglrx many years ago. I'm still using Intel GPUs on all mission-critical computers, and I share your view: While the situation has improved a lot with "amdgpu", the one thing that still bothers me is the lack of stability. On the systems using Intel GPUs, they just never crashed on me, even when using all kinds of GPU intensive stuff. With amdgpu, I'm still in a range of only days until the next mysterious kernel crash.

I can understand that for those who just want to play 3D games on Linux, they might not be bothered as much by those stability issues, but I am.

I sure hope that after the integration of amdgpu into mainline there will be time for finally making this driver not the determining factor of one's "uptime".
                  I am using an RX460 in one of my PC's, too and i never encountered any stability issues except for one game sometimes crashing the driver. (I still have the crash logs but i am not sure whether it still happens on current driver versions) And i usually do not reboot the system more than once per month. On Intel-GPU based systems i used, there are more problems. On some versions the XServer even fails to start and you need reboot to the repair console and update the driver to get a working system.

While the AMD drivers are for sure not perfect (issues with browser hardware rendering, some games, missing compat profiles) they are in my experience the most stable drivers on Linux. (as long as you don't go for an unstable/daily ppa) Nvidea's drivers are a nightmare compared to that. I had nvidia cards in two PC's. Xserver crashed almost daily and i lost a lot of data because of that. Nvidia didn't care at all for my bugreport, so i bought a RX 460 (the other PC doesn't get used productively) and everything is working good enough since then. Intels drivers are by far not crash free, too. You just got lucky.
                  What did you do on the PC to get the driver to crash? If it does really happen regularly, have you opened a bug report?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

If your experience has been decent for two years already, surely you don't need each and every update, do you?
                    sure I do - how else do I get the new shinies!?

Comment

Originally posted by QuImUfu View Post
                      While the AMD drivers are for sure not perfect (issues with browser hardware rendering, some games, missing compat profiles) they are in my experience the most stable drivers on Linux. (as long as you don't go for an unstable/daily ppa)
                      Actually, I have to use very fresh "out of mainline" kernel versions for the simple reason that my display only has HDMI 2.0 inputs and of course I want to drive it in 3840x2160 60Hz - that is only possible with the recent DC code.

Nvidea's drivers are a nightmare compared to that.
                      Nvidia's drivers are something I do not bother to look into, as they are closed source and unavailable for arbitrary combinations of hardware + recent kernel.

What did you do on the PC to get the driver to crash? If it does really happen regularly, have you opened a bug report?
                      Sure: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102322

Actually, just browsing the web with firefox and doing nothing else causes crashes after a while :-(

Comment

Working...
                      X