Ethereum & OpenCL: ROCm vs. AMDGPU-PRO 17.40

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    Marc Driftmeyer why do you blame amd for upsteaming problems THEY CAN NOT CONTROL... they just can not control what Linus Torvalds is doing... in my point of view they do the best they can... really.
    I think most of his frustrations are from the wasted OpenGL efforts over the years on linux, with OpenCL efforts only recently gaining steam. I agree with him, no one seriously games on linux, and with all the effort wasted on getting 3D on par with windows over the years, they could have built an amazing linux compute software stack that cold be rivaled by no one (you could even say ROCm is almost at the point even though is only a year or so old).

The lack of any control over our GPUs is the most frustrating part on the compute side. We are still no where near fglrx's level of control (full CLI controls over clocks/voltages). They have exposed basic clocking over /sys but this is usually buggy, and if you want real control have to hack the open source bits to do what you want which is supper annoying.

I want to be an expert in optimizing the compute applications I run, not an expert in figuring out how AMD's driver works...thats AMD's job, and thats why we pay 1K+ for GPUs. I literally had an AMD dev just point me to the linux kernel and pretty much say here its open source now so code what you want it to do. If this is this stance AMD takes with their open source initiative (i.e. offloading driver work they should do to end users)...it wont be a good outcome...
    Last edited by jstefanop; 10-30-2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jstefanop View Post

I think most of his frustrations are from the wasted OpenGL efforts over the years on linux, with OpenCL efforts only recently gaining steam. I agree with him, no one seriously games on linux, and with all the effort wasted on getting 3D on par with windows over the years, they could have built an amazing linux compute software stack that cold be rivaled by no one (you could even say ROCm is almost at the point even though is only a year or so old).

The lack of any control over our GPUs is the most frustrating part on the compute side. We are still no where near fglrx's level of control (full CLI controls over clocks/voltages). They have exposed basic clocking over /sys but this is usually buggy, and if you want real control have to hack the open source bits to do what you want which is supper annoying.

I want to be an expert in optimizing the compute applications I run, not an expert in figuring out how AMD's driver works...thats AMD's job, and thats why we pay 1K+ for GPUs. I literally had an AMD dev just point me to the linux kernel and pretty much say here its open source now so code what you want it to do. If this is this stance AMD takes with their open source initiative (i.e. offloading driver work they should do to end users)...it wont be a good outcome...
      I think you have a miss conception of driver development you really think openGL work slow down OpenCL work? but this is complete wrong because OpenCL is made by complete different team with a complete different skillset and openGL is made by complete different team with complete different skillset... .... this means in reality you have "no" point because you can not switch a OpenGL developer to the OpenCL team... because it is a complete different "task" and need complete different skillset.

"they could have built an amazing linux compute software stack that cold be rivaled by no one"

But ROCm is exactly this? my six ~600€ VEGA-64 GPUs beat a ~800€ Nvidia GTX 1080TI in ethereum with the ROCm stack....
      ROCm is open-source even in the closed source AMDGPU-pro the ROCm part is opensource ....

opensource but problem is for most users this ROCm code is not in the mainline linux projects means clover OpenCL has no rocm code and the linux kernel right now has no AMDGPU code of the ROCm stack.

but they work hard and plan this for Linux kernel 4.15....

this means your dream come true... it is just not yet done in mainline linux...
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

why do you not just dual use your hardware? gaming sure and if you do not do gaming just do some mining instead.
        This is profitable even on relative high electric bill costs. for example my 2 systems with 6 vega-64 make 200€ electric costs per month but they make a 310€ output per month.
        Take a look at this very nice list: http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/e...the-world.html
        I'm right there at #1.
        Also, I'm not really interest in fairy money that can crash at any given moment, or be easily manipulated by a few "whales". Not to mention its environmental cost.

Comment

but they work hard and plan this for Linux kernel 4.15....
          Did that happen? I haven't kept myself up to date with Rocm news, and I'm courious to know if current kernels have those bits mainlined.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
            Did that happen? I haven't kept myself up to date with Rocm news, and I'm courious to know if current kernels have those bits mainlined.
            IIRC support for most GPUs went into 4.17, Vega10 support went into 4.18, and Raven Ridge support is lined up for 4.19.

Comment

So, are amdgpu (not -pro) and a 4.18 kernel on any distro enough to run ethminer with rocm, on my hardware which happens to be a Saberthooth 990FX R2.0 (no PCIe atomics AFAIK), AMD FX 8350 CPU and a RX580 GPU?
              Last edited by lucrus; 07-30-2018, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Not sure if we still have atomics requirement for 580 - I believe it was relaxed for Vega but not sure about earlier parts.

Ignoring atomics for a minute, you would need something like:

- latest WIP 4.18 kernel (580 support went into 4.17 but fixes kept going up after that),

- Felix's WIP thunk with upstream-compatible IOCTL calls,
                https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute...d/drm-next-wip

- the rest of the ROCm stack above ROCT (so ROCR and up).

I haven't tried that myself but I think it should work. Without the matching thunk nothing will work on upstream kernel because the IOCTLs won't line up.

All this should also fetch up in the ROCm 1.9 release fairly soon.
                Last edited by bridgman; 07-30-2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X