AMDGPU-PRO 17.40 Yields Huge Speed-Up For Radeon Mining Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
    Well damn, now we are not going to see vega gpus with reasonable prices any time soon.
    Plot twist

AMD keeps all the cards and start mining themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
      Well damn, now we are not going to see vega gpus with reasonable prices any time soon.
      Or even RX Series...
      I'd gladly settle for an RX 580, but even those only recently started becoming avaliable. Still at inflated prices, though...
      Guess we'll see another peek shortly...
      Anyone knows if this improvement only on Vega or also on the RX Series?

Comment

Originally posted by fallacy View Post
        Can similiar results be gotten with the opensource AMD code in 4.15?
        Depends on whether you mean "open source" or "upstream" - you mentioned 4.15 so will start with "upstream".

For "upstream", quick answer is "probably not". Some of the required amdkfd code is lined up for 4.15 but I don't think all of it is there yet.

For "open source", the current ROC stack (which is open source including OpenCL but not upstream) should deliver roughly the same performance but I have not seen test results for mining-over-latest-ROC stack.

qarium nice to see the numbers going up.
        Last edited by bridgman; 23 October 2017, 11:51 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
          Plot twist

AMD keeps all the cards and start mining themselves.
          A fools errand. It's less risky and more profitable to sell the shovels, than to dig for gold yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

it is vega only because the rx4xx and rx5xx serie use the closed source openCL implementation on windows and linux and because of this opensource ROCm stack is not touched.
            Makes sense.
            Thanks.

Comment

yes the amdgpu-pro driver use the OpenSource ROCm stack and all the kernel bits will land in linux kernel 4.15.
              I'm not sure all the kernel bits are going to land in 4.15 - last pull request I saw only covered the "cleanup & restructuring" preliminary work IIRC.

it is vega only because the rx4xx and rx5xx serie use the closed source openCL implementation on windows and linux and because of this opensource ROCm stack is not touched.
              Just to make things more interesting, I believe the OpenCL we provide as part of the ROCm stack uses ROC for Polaris & Fiji as well as Vega, while the OpenCL distributed with AMDGPU-PRO only uses ROC for Vega.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Just to make things more interesting, I believe the OpenCL we provide as part of the ROCm stack uses ROC for Polaris & Fiji as well as Vega, while the OpenCL distributed with AMDGPU-PRO only uses ROC for Vega.
                So what OpenCL implementation does Polaris use when you install AMDGPU-PRO?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  So what OpenCL implementation does Polaris use when you install AMDGPU-PRO?
                  It uses the same back end as earlier ASICs - a subset of the closed source OpenGL hardware and OS layers, going through amdgpu+libdrm rather than amdkfd+thunk.
                  Test signature

Comment

but linus torvalds did not even start the 4.15??? so in fact you have some time to make it happen.
                    so hurry up to bring the kernel bits into the 4.15 kernel ;-)

yes thats really nice. ROCm just Rock!!...
                    So in my point of view i use open-source on vega with the amdgpu-pro for OpenCL...
                    My 2 Threatripper systems with 6 vega gpus do nothing but mining.
                    I am switching to full-open-source stack after all the stuff is in mainline kernel.
                    Are you willing to make a comparison of ethereum mining with Windows vs. Linux?
                    It's extremely important issue for us blockchain enthusiasts, even if the drivers started out as proprietary =)

Comment

I expect your hash rate will get a bit closer to "Windows" once you add more DIMMs. May not be entirely "Linux vs Windows".
                      Last edited by bridgman; 23 October 2017, 07:29 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X