No announcement yet.

Linux 4.15 Is Shaping Up To be An Exciting Kernel, Especially For AMD Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doh...spent a couple hours today getting temp monitoring to work for my Rzyen system. It was good practice in any case since I'm still a Linux noob.

I'll be looking into a Vega if the 56 ever becomes available at msrp, so good to know support should be baked in

Comment

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post
      The world consists of more than just you.
      Oh, somebody is bitter over my comment. I guess you must have realized that you're not alone in this world!

Anyhow, on the topic, which you've missed, what do you find exciting about 4.15? Or do you agree with me, but lack the balls to admit it and had to let your frustration out on someone else? Are you generally this stupid or do you have an opinion on the topic? I probably shouldn't be asking, because you're just going to have a sad opinion ...

Seeing how only one person replied to my comment and actually said something on topic and about what he likes (darkbasic) can the rest of you take all your comments and stick them up your holes.
      Last edited by sdack; 15 October 2017, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        Oh, somebody is bitter over my comment. I guess you must have realized that you're not alone in this world!

Anyhow, on the topic, which you've missed, what do you find exciting about 4.15? Or do you agree with me, but lack the balls to admit it and had to let your frustration out on someone else? Are you generally this stupid or do you have an opinion on the topic? I probably shouldn't be asking, because you're just going to have a sad opinion ...

Seeing how only one person replied to my comment and actually said something on topic and about what he likes (darkbasic) can the rest of you take all your comments and stick them up your holes.
        Just as a Heads up, you are being quite nasty in that post.

Being that I run a Ryzen and an R9 380 - 4.15 is looking rather exciting for me.
        RISC V could be very interesting in the near(ish) future for IoT / SBC things - I can see it popping up more and more in low end devices - things means we are more likely to get our hands on them for doing small projects. Be pretty sweet for a RPi competitor.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          Just as a Heads up, you are being quite nasty in that post.
          Are you saying I wouldn't know what I'm posting? ... I'm being called a "lonely, narcissistic and egocentric troll who is living in a cage". How about you lot get your heads right and stop commenting with your personal opinions on others. Nobody cares what kids think about adults. If I find the next kernel boring and unexciting then I sure can write this here and I don't have to read a bunch of immature replies in return by those who disagree. I can certainly share my opinion even when it doesn't match those of others. You can then use the forum to discuss your own opinion on the topic.

Now, to the topic itself. I don't think RISC-V is going to be much of a thing. There have been attempts before to create open source CPUs, but they all ended in pretty much little to no success and only the long-standing makers keep coming out on top with commercially successful CPU designs. Open source in software works, but I have yet to see it work for hardware.

As bug77 already pointed out does the majority of PC users use Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs. So even in a general sense can one say that there have been far more interesting kernels than 4.15.
          Last edited by sdack; 16 October 2017, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Are you saying I wouldn't know what I'm posting? ... I'm being called a "lonely, narcissistic and egocentric troll who is living in a cage". How about you lot get your heads right and stop commenting with your personal opinions on others. Nobody cares what kids think about adults. If I find the next kernel boring and unexciting then I sure can write this here and I don't have to read a bunch of immature replies in return by those who disagree. I can certainly share my opinion even when it doesn't match that of others. You can then use the forum to discuss your own opinion on the topic.

Now, to the topic itself. I don't think RISC-V is going to be much of a thing. There have been attempts before to create open source CPUs, but they all ended in pretty much little to no success and only the long-standing makers keep coming out on top with commercially successful CPU designs. Open source in software works, but I have yet to see it work for hardware.

As bug77 already pointed out does the majority use Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs. So even in a general sense can one say that there have been far more interesting kernels.
            Didn't know voicing one's personal opinion was forbidden as per the forum rules. Besides, what did you expect from a public forum? That people never reply to your comments? Forums are for open discussions, and people don't have to agree with each other. I you can't accept that, maybe you shouldn't be on a public forum.

At any rate, your last argument is an appeal to popularity (argumentum ad populum), which is a logical fallacy. Just because there's a majority of people having, doing or believing in X, Y or Z doesn't mean that the rest of the population doesn't matter. Globally speaking, Linux having better hardware support is still a nice thing (especially for IT workers).

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
              Didn't know voicing one's personal opinion was forbidden as per the forum rules. Besides, what did you expect from a public forum? That people never reply to your comments? Forums are for open discussions, and people don't have to agree with each other. I you can't accept that, maybe you shouldn't be on a public forum.

At any rate, your last argument is an appeal to popularity (argumentum ad populum), which is a logical fallacy. Just because there's a majority of people having, doing or believing in X, Y or Z doesn't mean that the rest of the population doesn't matter. Globally speaking, Linux having better hardware support is still a nice thing (especially for IT workers).
              Learn to read ... I'm not the one with the "Internet problem". Others are having a problem with my comment. You'll only get more of me the more you keep making it about me.

The article itself then states that 4.15 was exciting and so there is no fallacy here. The link even calls it "...-Super-Exciting" and so now after I've posted my comment and received flaming responses was the headline changed and a "Especially for AMD Users" was added to it. So there has been a change in the author's mind about who else might find the news exciting. And that's all I can ask for. I then didn't attack the author for being excited - I'm sure he is still very much excited for his very own reasons. Rather did I see it as a chance to give him my feedback, saying that I don't find it exciting and I listed the reasons why this is.

PS: Context is for Kings, love the new Star Trek series.
              Last edited by sdack; 16 October 2017, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Learn to read ... I'm not the one with the "Internet problem". Others are having a problem with my comment. You'll only get more of me the more you keep making it about me.

The article itself then states that 4.15 was exciting and so there is no fallacy here. The link even calls it "...-Super-Exciting" and so now after I've posted my comment and received flaming responses was the headline changed and a "Especially for AMD Users" was added to it. So there has been a change in the author's mind about who else might find the news exciting. And that's all I can ask for. I then didn't attack the author for being excited - I'm sure he is still very much excited for his very own reasons. Rather did I see it as a chance to give him my feedback, saying that I don't find it exciting and I listed the reasons why this is.

PS: Context is for Kings, love the new Star Trek series.
                The whole context is a forum about Linux. Linux getting more hardware to work, or to work better is a positive thing, period. If you're going to post completely negative feedback (even going as far as implying that Michael is being sarcastic, which is itself an attack) solely based on your own, solitary usage, then yes, people are going to treat you like the navel gazing person you've been presenting yourself as.

Besides, you can't tell people to shut up when they criticize your argument, when you yourself have chosen to criticize this piece of news first. Hypocrisy, much?

The headline was changed? So what? It's a mere precision... Kernel 4.15 is still an exciting release, but it's especially interesting to those who own the hardware. That certainly doesn't mean the rest of the world finds it uninteresting. Or do I need to copy-paste a definition of the word "especially"? Talk about knowing how to read.

Comment

Learn to read ... I'm not the one with the "Internet problem".
                  Yes you are and you need to start learning to read yourself. You said you were blamed for being "lonely, narcissistic and egocentric troll who is living in a cage", but in reality the original comment stated that you are either a troll or possibly just narcissistic, noone said you were both. Please learn the difference between the && and || operators.

PS. The new Star Trek series is mediocre, I honestly almost enjoy The Orville more.

Comment

Bitter? Your comment was idiotic plain and simple. When you say something truly retarded, like you did, it's not like you should expect any kind of useful conversation to come out of it.

On topic: Definitely nice to see the DAL/DC codebase finally about to get pushed to mainline. Not just because of the functionality that it brings, but also because of the manpower that will be free to do other things now that the foundations are in order.

However there is one thing about what's to be merged in the 4.15 cycle that confuses me more than just a tad. Why did it take thing long to merge Ryzen temperature monitoring? I mean there's been patches for it since what, early April?
                    Last edited by L_A_G; 16 October 2017, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Yes you are and you need to start learning to read yourself. You said you were blamed for being "lonely, narcissistic and egocentric troll who is living in a cage", but in reality the original comment stated that you are either a troll or possibly just narcissistic, noone said you were both. Please learn the difference between the && and || operators.

PS. The new Star Trek series is mediocre, I honestly almost enjoy The Orville more.
                      I agree.... The new Star Trek series is mediocre, it's an appeal to demographics, and it's a drama-epic, not real sci-fi/trek. One thing about programming quite a lot as a kid, your mind grows up on logic, and it's very easy to pick apart people's arguments. Especially ones who appeal to the masses.

Comment

Working...
                      X