A New Debian/Ubuntu Kernel Build With The Latest AMDGPU DC Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Debian/Ubuntu Kernel Build With The Latest AMDGPU DC Patches

Phoronix: A New Debian/Ubuntu Kernel Build With The Latest AMDGPU DC Patches

For those wanting to run the very latest bleeding-edge AMDGPU DC display code on an Ubuntu/Debian-based box, here is a fresh x86_64 kernel build of the latest DC kernel patches as of today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The ethernet (and thus internet connection) on my PRIME X370-PRO board stopped working with this kernel.

Also, DP audio output was as unreliable as it's always been (anything but 48khz results in silence) with these DC patched kernels so it's basically pointless for us who doesn't have a Vega.

'sudo dpkg -P linux-headers-4.14.0-rc3-dc-next-okt15 linux-image-4.14.0-rc3-dc-next-okt15'

Hope they sort these things out before it comes to mainline.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
      The ethernet (and thus internet connection) on my PRIME X370-PRO board stopped working with this kernel.
      Linux 4.14 has been borked with every system I've tested for network.... thought it was something just odd on my end, but I guess not, for weeks it's been borked.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Also, DP audio output was as unreliable as it's always been (anything but 48khz results in silence) with these DC patched kernels so it's basically pointless for us who doesn't have a Vega.

Hope they sort these things out before it comes to mainline.
        I have no sound problem via DP. I'm using a RX 470. What is your card?

Comment

Had to disable apparmor to make my networking work.
          Code:
          sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor teardown.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

R9 Fury. With the last kernel Michael posted I actually did get audio at 44.1khz from Rythmbox to play through my monitor on one occasion, and I thought maybe they had fixed it, but next time I tried it was gone again. 48khz works reliably though.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I would guess that he does not use pulseaudio while you do. When you use pulse, everything get resampled to 48khz automatically if thats the only supported sample rate. Thats what is happening on my RX560 with a dc patched kernel at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

I would guess that he does not use pulseaudio while you do. When you use pulse, everything get resampled to 48khz automatically if thats the only supported sample rate. Thats what is happening on my RX560 with a dc patched kernel at least.
                Must be this then. I'm using Kubuntu 17.04.

Comment

On the subject of audio over DP/HDMI, have anyone noticed any issues sending audio over the HDMI port on their VEGA cards using the DC patched kernels?

This is something that has been causing me no end of headaches since I started using my Vega 64 a few weeks back. Audio over DP to my monitor works fine; Audio to my digital receiver does not.
                  dmesg has this to say about it when I turn on the receiver:
                  Code:
                  [36116.761474] [drm] TX-NR509: [Block 0]
                  [36116.761478] [drm] TX-NR509: [Block 1]
                  [36116.761482] [drm] dc_link_detect: manufacturer_id = CB3D, product_id = B42, serial_number = 0, manufacture_week = 0, manufacture_year = 21, display_name = TX-NR509, speaker_flag = 79, audio_mode_count = 8
                  [36116.761484] [drm] dc_link_detect: mode number = 0, format_code = 1, channel_count = 1, sample_rate = 127, sample_size = 7
                  [36116.761486] [drm] dc_link_detect: mode number = 1, format_code = 1, channel_count = 7, sample_rate = 127, sample_size = 7
                  [36116.761487] [drm] dc_link_detect: mode number = 2, format_code = 2, channel_count = 7, sample_rate = 7, sample_size = 80
                  [36116.761489] [drm] dc_link_detect: mode number = 3, format_code = 7, channel_count = 7, sample_rate = 6, sample_size = 192
                  [36116.761491] [drm] dc_link_detect: mode number = 4, format_code = 9, channel_count = 5, sample_rate = 2, sample_size = 0
                  [36116.761493] [drm] dc_link_detect: mode number = 5, format_code = 10, channel_count = 7, sample_rate = 6, sample_size = 0
                  [36116.761494] [drm] dc_link_detect: mode number = 6, format_code = 11, channel_count = 7, sample_rate = 126, sample_size = 1
                  [36116.761496] [drm] dc_link_detect: mode number = 7, format_code = 12, channel_count = 7, sample_rate = 84, sample_size = 0
                  [36116.812863] [drm] {2560x1440, 2720x1481@241500Khz}
                  so it's definitely being detected as an audio output, but pulseaudio never picks it up as being connected.

The DP audio to my monitor works regardless of which DP port I use; It does not work when using HDMI, not even when HDMI is the only thing connected. The only combination I haven't tried so far is using a DisplayPort->HDMI adapter cable, but I'd prefer to avoid this for obvious reasons. Only other thing to mention about my setup is that both monitor (Dell U2713HM) and digital receiver (Onkyo TX-NR509) are only HDMI 1.4 compliant; No HDMI 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Linux 4.14 has been borked with every system I've tested for network.... thought it was something just odd on my end, but I guess not, for weeks it's been borked.
                    I can say for sure that both linux-4.14 and the current https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...aging-drm-next work just fine with regards to using the on-board EtherNet present on my Asus X370 PRO.

Do you have a more specific symptom description than "does not work" at hand?

Comment

Working...
                    X