More Than 100 More AMDGPU DC Patches Line Up Ahead Of Linux 4.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    People shouldn't blindly hope that DC gets merged. People should hope DC meets requirements. There's a big difference. You don't want to ruin the kernel with low-quality code just to get a video card working. Good thing Linus at least knows this.
    On the other hand is much easier to clean a mess when code is merged that when it's out of official tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Sevard View Post
      On the other hand is much easier to clean a mess when code is merged that when it's out of official tree.
      Well, it is also easier to neglect code once it has been merged.

Comment

Not in this case - if AMD wants to convince Linux users to their GPUs, they need to fix everything anyway. The main difference is, that when it is out of tree, they need to rebase it from time to time and align it with current upstream. This consumes a lot of time, that might be used for fixing actual issues.

Comment

I for one don't care if it's 120+ thousands of lines of code, as long as it isn't an Abstraction Layer.

As always, good job guys.

Comment

Hope they also include PM code on par with windows. My Bristol ridge notebook runs quiet on windows 10 but not so much on linux with kernel 4.13 and amdgpu xorg driver. Also, battery life much better on windows under MORE load.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              People shouldn't blindly hope that DC gets merged. People should hope DC meets requirements.
              dc met requirements long ago

Comment

Originally posted by kalrish View Post
                Well, it is also easier to neglect code once it has been merged.
                please show instance of code, neglected by amd. and what happened to multitude of community devs who were supposed to come and butcher amd's low quality code?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.2377 View Post
                  I for one don't care if it's 120+ thousands of lines of code, as long as it isn't an Abstraction Layer.
                  that is only because you don't know meaning of words you use and don't know that linux kernel is full of abstraction layers

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Looks pretty typical. It's all the changes they've made over the last month, I doubt anyone will have problems with it. Almost 2/3rds of the actual changed lines all look like they're coming from that DML which is apparently auto-generated hardware gospel.
                    I do hope it generates byte by byte identical output over multiple runs if the result is stored in Git

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      please show instance of code, neglected by amd. and what happened to multitude of community devs who were supposed to come and butcher amd's low quality code?
                      That it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't happen. Nice attempt though

Comment

Working...
                      X