• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    I hope in future AMD devs work more closely with the Linux guys
    amd windows and hardware devs? well, feel free to hope

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
      Is there any real use for these? I decode all on my HTPC and pass straight PCM to my receiver.
      You cannot send Dolby Atmos and DTS:X as PCM. They have to be decoded by the AVR, because they are object-based (not channel-based) and only the AVR knows where in the room a sound object should be placed.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
        amdgpu.dc=1 sounds like it's just the ticket to RADV
        i don't think radv depends on dc in any way, it depends on amdgpu, which is a separate issue

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post

which unfortunately only works if you built it as a module.
          If you built-in the driver, your bootloader (grub?) is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
            Looking forward to this! I hope in future AMD devs work more closely with the Linux guys, so that there isn't a "throw it over the fence" approach...
            They do. Just have a look at amd-gfx mailing list.

Comment

Originally posted by direx View Post
              You cannot send Dolby Atmos and DTS:X as PCM. They have to be decoded by the AVR, because they are object-based (not channel-based) and only the AVR knows where in the room a sound object should be placed.
              I see, but what prevents the computer from knowing the locations?

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

For creative professionals producing AV works, most certainly. I'll take a fully compliant OpenCL 2.1 working stack and then these Audio quality formats in that order, but most certainly both of them. I'm creating animations and working with creating high end audio to add value to the creations.

I want the sound of an engine to reverberate 360 degrees.
              Can't you get that reverberation in pure software?

Thank you for the explanations!

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

If you built-in the driver, your bootloader (grub?) is your friend.
                It was about listing the available options, not setting them.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                  I see, but what prevents the computer from knowing the locations?

Can't you get that reverberation in pure software?
                  In theory it could be possible. In my case I would need to pass 11.2 channels to my amp then, which Kodi simply does not support for example.

Furthermore I am not aware of any piece of Linux software which can actually decode Dolby Atmos at all. This is why you need to pass the Atmos stream to an AVR over HDMI.

Comment

Originally posted by direx View Post

In theory it could be possible. In my case I would need to pass 11.2 channels to my amp then, which Kodi simply does not support for example.

Furthermore I am not aware of any piece of Linux software which can actually decode Dolby Atmos at all. This is why you need to pass the Atmos stream to an AVR over HDMI.
                    Got it, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X