Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU's DC Gets More Cleanups Ahead Of Linux 4.15

Phoronix: AMDGPU's DC Gets More Cleanups Ahead Of Linux 4.15

It's indeed looking like the AMDGPU DC display code stack will finally be pulled for the Linux 4.15 merge window, assuming Linus Torvalds has no issues with it in a few weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward to this! I hope in future AMD devs work more closely with the Linux guys, so that there isn't a "throw it over the fence" approach...

Comment

amdgpu.dc=1
      I think we will need some central place for all the kernel command line and env. variable options. Or is there one already? (Yes, I know, /usr/src/linux/Documentation/... but IMO it is somewhat littered there and I'd say not all new things are documented right from the start. And few users actually read kernel mailing lists (or phoronix news) so they were aware of such info.)

But good to see AMD gets this one up and running in the official kernel now. So maybe it might hit one or the other distribution before Raven Ridge launches. I expect RR to be not far away for the market since there is already talk about Ryzen 2 (Zen+ or whatever it will be then).
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        amdgpu.dc=1
        I think we will need some central place for all the kernel command line and env. variable options.
        Kernel Options can be found in the Modules. e.g. "modinfo amdgpu"

Comment

Super excited about this!

I recently bought an RX Vega 64 AC (for less than the cheapest 1080 I could find here - go figure), which has freed up a couple of HD7970s, one of which I will attempt to use with my FX-8350 under Linux.

amdgpu.dc=1 sounds like it's just the ticket to RADV Vulkan goodness for me. Finally!

Comment

Good news, is there any news on what kernel Ubuntu 18.04 will employ? If that distro family supports 4.15 or above, I might upgrade my gpu to something with open source drivers in 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              amdgpu.dc=1
              I think we will need some central place for all the kernel command line and env. variable options. Or is there one already? (Yes, I know, /usr/src/linux/Documentation/... but IMO it is somewhat littered there and I'd say not all new things are documented right from the start. And few users actually read kernel mailing lists (or phoronix news) so they were aware of such info.)

But good to see AMD gets this one up and running in the official kernel now. So maybe it might hit one or the other distribution before Raven Ridge launches. I expect RR to be not far away for the market since there is already talk about Ryzen 2 (Zen+ or whatever it will be then).
              Also, note this kernel switches are not for everyday use or users but for early testers, once the feature have enough testing the switch will disappear and will be enable by default.

So, if you don't like passing switches to the kernel simply wait a bit more for 4.16(or 4.17) where it probably will work by default.

Also note this also happened with mesa, several switches are now invalid because DRIRC pass them or are used by default now(because enough testing proved it was safe).

Not being an ass here(not my intention either), just saying is normal those switches come and go like the wind on drivers because this way a new feature will not break everybody else's kernels but still get enough testing from those willing to take the risk early on, for this reason there is no reason to memorize or annotate those switches anywhere easy because this is meant for users that follow the patches where the switch is documented not regular users(note that Michael follow those git repos and share those details in his articles but that was not requested by either AMD or the developers, is just Micheal being nice) but if you didn't know about those patches before the article you probably shouldn't mess with your boot loader to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

Kernel Options can be found in the Modules. e.g. "modinfo amdgpu"
                which unfortunately only works if you built it as a module.

Comment

Should be good, however I wish AMD would release a freesync tester like Windmill Demo on Windows, for Linux.

Comment

Unfortunately the DC in it's current state still doesn't provide proper HDMI audio support. Only legacy audio formats are supported - there is no sign of Dolby True HD/DTS HD-MA/Dolby Atmos/DTS:X support at all. There is a long-standing bug report about this, but it looks like nobody is working on it. This makes all Polaris+ hardware unsuitable for HTPC users

Comment

Working...
                    X