No announcement yet.

AMDGPU's DC Gets More Cleanups Ahead Of Linux 4.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Alex Deucher just did a huge pull. If you want to roll a new 4.13 phx custom with 4.15 DC latest pull I'd be thrilled to test the packages.

Comment

Originally posted by direx View Post
      Unfortunately the DC in it's current state still doesn't provide proper HDMI audio support. Only legacy audio formats are supported - there is no sign of Dolby True HD/DTS HD-MA/Dolby Atmos/DTS:X support at all. There is a long-standing bug report about this, but it looks like nobody is working on it. This makes all Polaris+ hardware unsuitable for HTPC users
      Is there any real use for these? I decode all on my HTPC and pass straight PCM to my receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Is there any real use for these? I decode all on my HTPC and pass straight PCM to my receiver.
        For creative professionals producing AV works, most certainly. I'll take a fully compliant OpenCL 2.1 working stack and then these Audio quality formats in that order, but most certainly both of them. I'm creating animations and working with creating high end audio to add value to the creations.

I want the sound of an engine to reverberate 360 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by direx View Post
          Unfortunately the DC in it's current state still doesn't provide proper HDMI audio support. Only legacy audio formats are supported - there is no sign of Dolby True HD/DTS HD-MA/Dolby Atmos/DTS:X support at all. There is a long-standing bug report about this, but it looks like nobody is working on it. This makes all Polaris+ hardware unsuitable for HTPC users
          Can't remember where I saw it recently, but on one of the list archives, I saw a note that a drop was coming that sounded like it fixed some outstanding HDMI issues in DC, so maybe these HD bitstreaming modes will be part of it.

Comment

There looks to still be a whole bunch of integration work that needs to be done post merge (the joys of ongoing driver development) - I am very much looking forward to using the new DC code in future kernels!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              Should be good, however I wish AMD would release a freesync tester like Windmill Demo on Windows, for Linux.
              I wish they would support Freesync over HDMI on Linux ;( and have a tester. I mean its just a different interface, what gives?

Comment

Its broken on Mobile CIK, for my laptop it doesn't turn on any displays LCD or VGA ports, Bugzilla being logged

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
                  Good news, is there any news on what kernel Ubuntu 18.04 will employ? If that distro family supports 4.15 or above, I might upgrade my gpu to something with open source drivers in 2018
                  it's an LTS release, so will probably use 4.14, like Suse Leap 15.

sadly, and why i've been asking here whether these DC drop might end up being backported to 4.14...

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                    Kernel Options can be found in the Modules. e.g. "modinfo amdgpu"
                    Sweetness! Thanks! (Though I'll have to compile the modules first, cause it seems this (expectedly) won't work when you have compiled things in.)
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                      Also, note this kernel switches are not for everyday use or users but for early testers, once the feature have enough testing the switch will disappear and will be enable by default.
                      Yes, I'm aware of that. (E.g. evolving of (dynamic) power management from radeonHD driver (PM did not exist in the early days) up to what we have to day. Or parameters in xorg.conf.) Some do persist, though, and I still use them.
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X