X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Talking about about AMD's promised open sourcing of it's proprietary Vulkan driver? The -only- single effort they made was an empty promise years ago. And I'm sorry, but that's not an effort at all.
    I really don't think AMD as a company or their developers are to blame here, but rather the lawyers who are just taking their sweet time making sure everything is ok to open source. The main fault AMD had was not open-sourcing it all in the first place - shortly after releasing the drivers, they said they were going to open them, so that wasted a lot of time.

I also think RADV might have slowed things down dramatically. If it didn't exist, maybe AMD's drivers would've been available a long time ago. But since RADV was making so much progress in so little time, they were probably like "meh, we have bigger things to worry about".

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Ziple View Post

AMD has delivered on its previous promises of open sourcing parts of their stack, and that for almost a decade now.
    So it is pretty sure they will open source it if they said so.
    In that field things are complex technically and legally. So give them time.
    Yeah, I get it, they have to leave it up to lawyers to get it to a position where programmers can release code. I'm fully aware. But that process has been anything else but transparent. There is literally zero information about it. None at all. No evidence what-so-ever.

Leave a comment:

• Ziple
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Talking about about AMD's promised open sourcing of it's proprietary Vulkan driver? The -only- single effort they made was an empty promise years ago. And I'm sorry, but that's not an effort at all.
    AMD has delivered on its previous promises of open sourcing parts of their stack, and that for almost a decade now.
    So it is pretty sure they will open source it if they said so.
    In that field things are complex technically and legally. So give them time.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Until RADV consistently matches or exceeds the performance of AMDGPU-PRO, I don't think AMD should be so quick to ditch their open-source efforts. But, I do agree that contributing toward RADV would probably be the best route.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Until RADV consistently matches or exceeds the performance of AMDGPU-PRO, I don't think AMD should be so quick to ditch their open-source efforts. But, I do agree that contributing toward RADV would probably be the best route.

Leave a comment:

• Twysock
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Soon ®
    But when will then be now?!

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by Evil Penguin View Post
    ...so AMD's official open source Vulkan driver is still coming?
    Soon ®

Leave a comment:

• airlied
    replied
    Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
    Do does that mean vkcube runs without crashing now? I never managed to get that demo to run on RADV with either my R9 270 or even RX Vega56.
    The simple vkcube demo from krh? Does it pass validation? I'm pretty sure it is just a broken app.

Leave a comment:

• LeJimster
    replied
    Do does that mean vkcube runs without crashing now? I never managed to get that demo to run on RADV with either my R9 270 or even RX Vega56.

Leave a comment:

• frosth
    replied
    wow, it's incredible thanks you both guys.

btw. look at Kronos "conformant-products" especially for "AMD Radeon R9 285".
    Deploying and developing royalty-free open standards for 3D graphics, Virtual and Augmented Reality, Parallel Computing, Neural Networks, and Vision Processing

in some tests it is GCN 1.2 family but in the others it's GCN 1.3

Leave a comment:

Working...
X