RADV Is Now Considered A Vulkan Conformant Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    This is possible but getting DAL/DC to work at all and go upstream has always been a higher priority than supporting Vulkan, imho.
    As well it should be. Not having AMDs Vulkan implementation released means we have to use RADV, which is slower, but at least it's available. Not having DAL/DC integrated means for some people not having a working display at all. It is obvious which one should take priority.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Yeah, I get it, they have to leave it up to lawyers to get it to a position where programmers can release code. I'm fully aware. But that process has been anything else but transparent. There is literally zero information about it. None at all. No evidence what-so-ever.
      Do you have me on "ignore" ? I wouldn't blame you but it might explain why you think there has been no communication

This is not about "releasing it", it's about "significantly rewriting it so that it can be released". I have explained this multiple times.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Do you have me on "ignore" ? I wouldn't blame you but it might explain why you think there has been no communication

This is not about "releasing it", it's about "significantly rewriting it so that it can be released". I have explained this multiple times.
        Yeah, and over years too. And yet still nothing at all. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Comment

You do know we wrote radv in under the time a rewrite has taken :-)

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
            You do know we wrote radv in under the time a rewrite has taken :-)
            Yes

In our defence, you "only" had to make one API work while we had to keep three different APIs working during the rewrite.
            Test signature

Comment

Let's open a bet then. Which happens first? AMD releasing open source Vulkan drivers, or RX Vega prices dropping to MSRP and being available for the public?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                and if you start to be sane then end this to: "keep three different APIs working" ... we only need ONE (1.) API and this api is called Vulkan.
                just stop DirectX... and stop Apple-Metal...
                Your definition of "sane" may be different from mine. I don't see "going out of business" as an outcome which would suggest sanity on the part of the decision maker.
                Test signature

Comment

bridgman
                  If a re-write of the Vulkan API was deemed necessary (rather than just simply opening as much of the existing closed code as you can), how come you didn't have your team contribute your existing work with Arlie? Or, since AMD worked on the API before Arlie, how come you didn't contact him to help contribute toward your work? After all, kind of the sole purpose of open-sourcing something is to allow multiple developers work independently on the same project. Sorry if you already answered this somewhere, but I hadn't seen the reason for this. No judgment from me, just curious.

Comment

Yes

In our defence, you "only" had to make one API work while we had to keep three different APIs working during the rewrite.
                    What a great explanation of why your strategy is so flawed!

Your definition of "sane" may be different from mine. I don't see "going out of business" as an outcome which would suggest sanity on the part of the decision maker.
                    Well, you've currently got a radv vulkan driver for free so I have a hard time seeing it causing you to go out of business. I mean, if 1 part time project by Dave on the side is more work than the entire company of AMD can afford for their entire GPU division....
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 06 October 2017, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      If a re-write of the Vulkan API was deemed necessary (rather than just simply opening as much of the existing closed code as you can), how come you didn't have your team contribute your existing work with Arlie? Or, since AMD worked on the API before Arlie, how come you didn't contact him to help contribute toward your work? .
                      Nothing complicated - the Vulkan team decides our Vulkan strategy, and their preference was to focus on the AMD Vulkan driver rather than having AMD developers contribute to radv.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      After all, kind of the sole purpose of open-sourcing something is to allow multiple developers work independently on the same project. Sorry if you already answered this somewhere, but I hadn't seen the reason for this. No judgment from me, just curious.
                      It's probably fair to say that the initial view of open sourcing was less about full collaborative development and more about making it easier for game developers to work with our drivers, although that has evolved over time towards a more collaborative model.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Well, you've currently got a radv vulkan driver for free so I have a hard time seeing it causing you to go out of business. I mean, if 1 part time project by Dave on the side is more work than the entire company of AMD can afford for their entire GPU division....
                      Buying an ice cream cone would not cause the company to go out of business, but that was not the suggestion I was responding to either.

Q was saying that we should stop support for DirectX and MacOS, which would be a quick way to reach that "out of business" end state.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 06 October 2017, 03:05 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X