RADV Is Now Considered A Vulkan Conformant Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evil Penguin View Post
    ...so AMD's official open source Vulkan driver is still coming?
    Soon ®

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Soon ®
      But when will then be now?!

Comment

Until RADV consistently matches or exceeds the performance of AMDGPU-PRO, I don't think AMD should be so quick to ditch their open-source efforts. But, I do agree that contributing toward RADV would probably be the best route.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Until RADV consistently matches or exceeds the performance of AMDGPU-PRO, I don't think AMD should be so quick to ditch their open-source efforts. But, I do agree that contributing toward RADV would probably be the best route.
          Talking about about AMD's promised open sourcing of it's proprietary Vulkan driver? The -only- single effort they made was an empty promise years ago. And I'm sorry, but that's not an effort at all.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Talking about about AMD's promised open sourcing of it's proprietary Vulkan driver? The -only- single effort they made was an empty promise years ago. And I'm sorry, but that's not an effort at all.
            AMD has delivered on its previous promises of open sourcing parts of their stack, and that for almost a decade now.
            So it is pretty sure they will open source it if they said so.
            In that field things are complex technically and legally. So give them time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziple View Post

AMD has delivered on its previous promises of open sourcing parts of their stack, and that for almost a decade now.
              So it is pretty sure they will open source it if they said so.
              In that field things are complex technically and legally. So give them time.
              Yeah, I get it, they have to leave it up to lawyers to get it to a position where programmers can release code. I'm fully aware. But that process has been anything else but transparent. There is literally zero information about it. None at all. No evidence what-so-ever.

Comment

I really don't think AMD as a company or their developers are to blame here, but rather the lawyers who are just taking their sweet time making sure everything is ok to open source. The main fault AMD had was not open-sourcing it all in the first place - shortly after releasing the drivers, they said they were going to open them, so that wasted a lot of time.

I also think RADV might have slowed things down dramatically. If it didn't exist, maybe AMD's drivers would've been available a long time ago. But since RADV was making so much progress in so little time, they were probably like "meh, we have bigger things to worry about".

Comment

I really don't think AMD as a company or their developers are to blame here, but rather the lawyers who are just taking their sweet time making sure everything is ok to open source. The main fault AMD had was not open-sourcing it all in the first place - shortly after releasing the drivers, they said they were going to open them, so that wasted a lot of time.

I also think RADV might have slowed things down dramatically. If it didn't exist, maybe AMD's drivers would've been available a long time ago. But since RADV was making so much progress in so little time, they were probably like "meh, we have bigger things to worry about".
                  You might be on to something. -If- AMD releases their Vulkan implementation it won't be integrated with Mesa. How much of that implementation could be ported to Radv? Probably not very much is my guess. Whether you meant to imply it or not, your implication that it would be pointless is probably right.

Comment

AMD has been held up with slightly more important parts, like getting the display drivers upstreamed with their new cross-platform driver (that is opensource on Linux), so... yeah, they are not delivering Vulkan, but they aren't asleep.

Comment

This is possible but getting DAL/DC to work at all and go upstream has always been a higher priority than supporting Vulkan, imho.

Comment

Working...
                      X