Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we crowd-fund an effort for AMD Crossfire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we crowd-fund an effort for AMD Crossfire?

Hello all,

Some time ago there were features added to the Mesa stack which were completed because the developer was able to make a little money on the side via a crowd funding initiative. Why can't we do the same for Crossfire?

From what I understand based on past Phoronix news articles and discussion responses, there is nothing on the part of AMD or any other which is blocking, there just has not been any developer who has taken the time to get it done.

I have recently started a new job and have a little bit more money, and over the last 6 months I've put together a beginning bid of $350 for anyone who can start the work, make themselves known, and create a crowd funding page so that some of us can throw money at you. I hope others will join me, because if we can get $1 here, $5 there, $2 and $10 elsewhere, and yes even those of you who only have fifty cents or less you can help!

I am primarily motivated because I have a pair of AMD cards, but also I was really agitated by the recent news that Nvidia is STILL blocking Nouveau devs and I think that open source SLI would be a cool addition for all of you open source Nvidia users around here. I wanted to save up a little more money before starting the discussion, but here we are.(A potential alternate/related effort)

That's all. If there isn't enough interest currently, let's crowd fund ad create the necessary interest.
    Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 03 October 2017, 05:18 PM. Reason: Not trying to see a focus on any technical differences between the technologies. It was just thoughts I've had.

Is it worth it? Crossfire will be abandoned anyway, the multi-GPU future is Vulkan.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Anyway if you are really, really interested there are several alternatives for bounty-based kickstarting. See my post on the btrfs mailing list: https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-b.../msg68520.html
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I really don't see much of a need, especially with the way current crossfire is done.

What I'd really like to see, now that Mesa has fully compliant open source drivers for Vulkan is a stack to run OpenGL on top of Vulkan.
        This would allow running OpenGL on any hardware that supports Vulkan in the future, reducing the amount of work needed for hardware specific drivers.

Comment

Working...
        X