Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Ubuntu Kernel Spin Of AMDGPU DC "drm-next-4.15-dc"

Phoronix: An Ubuntu Kernel Spin Of AMDGPU DC "drm-next-4.15-dc"

Yesterday was the very exciting news of the AMDGPU DC code finally being called for pulling to DRM-Next for integration in the Linux 4.15 kernel. So far it's looking like that will indeed happen for Linux 4.15 assuming Linus Torvalds has no objections. If you want to test out this kernel for HDMI/DP audio, Radeon RX Vega display support, atomic mode-setting, or other modern features, here is an Ubuntu kernel spin...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think i might have to compile a kernel based on this version. Yesterday i tried the 4.12-amd-staging kernel form lcarlier's mesa-git arch repo to get 4k@60 + hdmi audio working on my RX560 and encountered loads of issues. Including a flickering mouse cursor, dotted lines on the vt, wierd blue frames every ~10 secs while watching videos and a completely broken gnome wayland session because the screen would turn on and off. I even had to run gdm under X, otherwise the 60Hz modes for 4k were not visible, even when the actually gnome session was run under X.

Comment

Praise Kek! I would love to go back to back to mainline, keeps hands firmly planted together.

Comment

sounds promising, wink wink, nudge nudge.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
          I think i might have to compile a kernel based on this version. Yesterday i tried the 4.12-amd-staging kernel form lcarlier's mesa-git arch repo to get 4k@60 + hdmi audio working on my RX560 and encountered loads of issues. Including a flickering mouse cursor, dotted lines on the vt, wierd blue frames every ~10 secs while watching videos and a completely broken gnome wayland session because the screen would turn on and off. I even had to run gdm under X, otherwise the 60Hz modes for 4k were not visible, even when the actually gnome session was run under X.
          His build is not always current, and he also does not apply stable patches to it, so I used to build it myself instead.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

His build is not always current, and he also does not apply stable patches to it, so I used to build it myself instead.
            Yeah, i was planning to build myself aswell. But i'm still kind of unsure which branch from ~agd5f/linux i should pick. There seems to be none which is based on the lastest stable kernel and drm-next seems unfit as a daily driver. Did you applie the -stable patches yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post
              sounds promising, wink wink, nudge nudge.
              SAY NO MORE!?

if you know what I mean :P

Comment

Thanks for sharing the kernel headers and image. Installed smoothly on Debian Sid.

For the FX-8350 and RX-480 here is a screenshot of the results I get using Unigine Heaven 4.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  Thanks for sharing the kernel headers and image. Installed smoothly on Debian Sid.

For the FX-8350 and RX-480 here is a screenshot of the results I get using Unigine Heaven 4.0.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d4Go7v8G4yN1dO1s2
                  The kernel seems to play nice for me also on Debian Buster with Ryzen 7 1700 and an RX Vega 64, though like with the DC-patched kernels I've tested before, it seems the TearFree option is still unstable. Fix that, and get HDMI Audio working with more devices, and DC will feel ready to me.

Comment

Can't wait to test DC on my RX 480 :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X