X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post
    Did you not see the explanation he gave? makes complete sense as to why it slipped through the cracks.
    He didn't even try to address the tens of lines of compiler warnings or the points about the chains of nestled defines nor does he address the issue he uses to excuse the compile failure.

Leave a comment:

• danvet
    replied

I am sure that he accepts criticism just fine from his peers, just not from random people on the Internet
    Plus, Linus has no idea how GPU drivers work. So occasionally he just gets pissed and rants around for no reasonable reasons at all, and we need to tell him to be a reasonable again and a grown up.

But way too many forum trolls drank the Linus-is-TEh-awesome koolaid and just can't see that. It's entertaining to watch at least.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

I'm not so sure he does that either seeing how he brushed of Linus chewing him out for his TinyDRM screw-up as Linus just being "stupid".
    Did you not see the explanation he gave? makes complete sense as to why it slipped through the cracks.

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    I am sure that he accepts criticism just fine from his peers, just not from random people on the Internet
    I'm not so sure he does that either seeing how he brushed of Linus chewing him out for his TinyDRM screw-up as Linus just being "an idiot".

I personally subscribe to a pretty similar set of ideas to Linus on criticism. The higher you sit on the figurative totem pole, the more should be expected of you. Another way of putting it is that the higher you rank, the less space you have for excuses and just brushing off criticism.
    Last edited by L_A_G; 28 September 2017, 04:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied

Oh yes, the usual "Anyone who criticizes me is a troll" attitude that you see from people who have reached the peak of the peter principle.

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by airlied View Post
    Ah you could have tried harder, you need to spend more time at troll school.

The tinydrm code was compile tested in a fair few configurations, just not one particular one that Linus used. You probably can't understand code more complex than 5 lines, but the kernel is a complex place to work in, the number of possible CONFIG_ options is nearly impossible to test exhaustively.

But you keep on telling yourself you know what you are doing.

Dave.
    Oh yes, the usual "Anyone who criticizes me is a troll" attitude that you see from people who have reached the peak of the peter principle.

Leave a comment:

• airlied
    replied

If you don't get why you pissed off Linus by passing on code you hadn't as much as compile tested and wouldn't even compile I'm not sure lead maintainer is the right job for you the same way CSO wasn't quite the right job for the person who just quit from that position at Equifax.

If your idea of code in a state ready to be mainlined includes code that throws up nasty compiler warnings and doesn't even compile I don't think your judgment on what's good code and what's bad code is all that reliable.

If you pushing TinyDRM to Linus in the state that you did is anything to go on you should probably let someone else make that decision.
    Ah you could have tried harder, you need to spend more time at troll school.

The tinydrm code was compile tested in a fair few configurations, just not one particular one that Linus used. You probably can't understand code more complex than 5 lines, but the kernel is a complex place to work in, the number of possible CONFIG_ options is nearly impossible to test exhaustively.

But you keep on telling yourself you know what you are doing.

Dave.

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by airlied View Post
    Lols, tinydrm had seen lots of compilers, Linus was just being an idiot. but I don't get your logic (possibly because the concept of logic it outside your grasp).
    Seeing you don't seem to get why you pissed off Linus by passing on code you hadn't as much as compile tested and wouldn't even compile I'm not sure lead maintainer is the right job for you. The same way CSO wasn't quite the right job for the person who just quit from that position at Equifax.

Your proof that I can't judge DAL code quality is that I merged tinydrm? Even though DAL code quality on any level is way worse than tinydrm.
    If your idea of code in a state ready to be mainlined includes code that throws up nasty compiler warnings and doesn't even compile I don't think your judgment on what's good code and what's bad code is all that reliable...

so should I merge it or not?
    Dave.
    Judging by the state in which you pushed TinyDRM to Linus is anything to go on you should probably let someone else determine if this code should be mainlined or not.
    Last edited by L_A_G; 28 September 2017, 03:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    automorphism Don't forget Wayland support! Proprietary NVIDIA driver will only work with Wayland on GNOME.

Leave a comment:

• automorphism
    replied
    For anyone at AMD reading this, I think I speak for many of my fellow customers, past and future, when I say thank you for persevering with this project. Once the new code is available in major distros, it seems like AMD will be the clear choice over Nvidia for Linux users, especially if it delivers on the goal of improving performance by getting the driver more directly connected to the hardware developers. Particularly for those who want to use rolling release distros or otherwise have strong objections to proprietary kernel modules, the choice between the proprietary nvidia driver and the subpar nouveau is an unappealing one, and it's great to see so much effort going into the open source AMD driver. I for one like to vote with my wallet and buy from companies who support Linux, for the sake of making my life easier as well as principle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X