AMDGPU DC Pull Request Submitted For Linux 4.15: Finally The New Display Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danvet View Post
    Oh I'm a random internet schmuck who accidentally has 3k commits in the kernel and happened to be invited to the kernel summit last 4 times. Seriously, you need to try harder ... this isn't much fun like this.
    To you maybe... I've never heard of you so to me who or what you claim to be is quite frankly irrelevant.

1/10 at least I chuckled.
    Meh... If you think you know better than Linus that's your prerogative, but you shouldn't expect everyone to agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      To you maybe... I've never heard of you so to me who or what you claim to be is quite frankly irrelevant.

Meh... If you think you know better than Linus that's your prerogative, but you shouldn't expect everyone to agree with you.
      Are you kidding?
      This particular "random internet schmuck" happens to be Daniel Vetter from Intel OTC (you know, former i915 DRM maintainer and stuff), so I think he's more than qualified for a little bit of "random GPU driver babble" here and there…

Back on topic:
      Don't get me wrong, because I started using exclusively AMD GPUs ever since AMD resumed their open source efforts and they all work absolutely marvelous (to the point that I no longer even consider nVidia and actively discourage anyone else from using their binary crap), but how on Earth was this "display code" CLEANED UP from some 100kLOC ("93kLOC to run the displays when whole drivers don't even come close") to almost 130kLOC during at least 414 workdays (594 calendar days) of "this time trying real hard to get it absolutely right"⁈
      Last edited by ?John?; 28 September 2017, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Oh well, just to spend my personal troll time budget for today I'll give you a hint: DanVet.

Btw: One thing I love about "Linux"/free software is the amount of time I can spend to talk to developers directly. This direct "support" by senior developers like Daniel/Dave costs a lot of $$$ in the corporate world (and probably they wouldn't be called "senior developer" but more something like "super vice president global research&development" ;-). Even more amazing that Dave+Daniel spent time replying to Phoronix trolls... I guess everyone needs a timeout from time to time. Now Dave it's time to go back to work ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by ?John? View Post
          Don't get me wrong, because I started using exclusively AMD GPUs ever since AMD resumed their open source efforts and they all work absolutely marvelous (to the point that I no longer even consider nVidia and actively discourage anyone else from using their binary crap), but how on Earth was this "display code" CLEANED UP from some 100kLOC ("93kLOC to run the displays when whole drivers don't even come close") to almost 130kLOC during at least 414 workdays (594 calendar days) of "this time trying real hard to get it absolutely right"⁈
          I'm totally unqualified to answer this but IIRC they added support for Vega. I think also the display layer ("dc") gained some lines by supporting these (even though power management increased even more).

Comment

Originally posted by schwarzman View Post
            I'm totally unqualified to answer this but IIRC they added support for Vega. I think also the display layer ("dc") gained some lines by supporting these (even though power management increased even more).
            Could be but I would expect the cleanup to make it significantly smaller and then maybe getting back to something like the original size AFTER adding support for all the new hardware.

Comment

This isn't sounding good at all.....

Comment

Originally posted by ?John? View Post
                Are you kidding?
                This particular "random internet schmuck" happens to be Daniel Vetter from Intel OTC (you know, former i915 DRM maintainer and stuff), so I think he's more than qualified for a little bit of "random GPU driver babble" here and there…
                Did you even read what I wrote in the same post where I joked about just being a random schmuck on the internet? Because I based that assessment on Linus' judgment, not my own.

I'm pretty sure there aren't allthat many people who can speak with more authority on the subject of what GCC warnings can be ignored when compiling the linux kernel (Greg Kroah-Hartman?)
                Last edited by L_A_G; 28 September 2017, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Did you even read what I said in the same post where I joked about just being a random schmuck on the internet? Because I based that on Linus' judgment, not my own.
                  Could you please stop arguing with the kernel devs please? The last thing you should be trying to do is make them feel salty. They have good reasons to feel the way they do. But I think there has to be a middle ground somewhere. And these conversations have to be civil and polite so that we have a real chance to figure out where that middle ground is. Right now your just sidetracking that AND WE -REALLY- NEED THAT TO BE ON THE MAIN TRACK INSTEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by danvet View Post
                    Plus, Linus has no idea how GPU drivers work. So occasionally he just gets pissed and rants around for no reasonable reasons at all, and we need to tell him to be a reasonable again and a grown up.
                    Does that mean you are also fine with a merge and risking another Linus rant? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hasenpfote View Post
                      Does that mean you are also fine with a merge and risking another Linus rant? ;-)
                      Yes. We're still discussing the exact details and remaining bits of polish, but I think the pull request with DC is going to happen for 4.15. Probably stand-alone, to manage the risk of Linus randomly throwing a fit.

Comment

Working...
                      X