AMDGPU DC Pull Request Submitted For Linux 4.15: Finally The New Display Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    I wonder what David is going to come up this time to stop DAL/DC from being merged? Not enough time to properly review the code? Too much redundant code because they're not cleaning away all the old AMD display code? Still too much abstraction going on? Code quality not up to standards?

The last one would be particularly eyebrow raising remembering the state in which he merged TinyDRM and (rightfully) found himself on the receiving end of one of Linus' rants where he called it "absolute pure shit that has never seen a compiler".
    No excuses, just plain old logic and reason - stop writing crappy code and stop the practice of NIH. When those 2 are followed, you have something decent that can be merged.

I'm totally with David Airlie on this - I want it in, but not if it's a big steaming pile of duplicate code that introduces a bunch of useless abstractions - to me, sounds like they just took a big chunk of code from fglrx, and said "here, merge this in" - didn't bother integrating with the kernel's DRM stack at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tori View Post
      When (if) this gets ack'ed by Linus, is there a email or social account where I can send a personalized "thanky ou" message to the devs?
      Linus as well as Greg are active on Google Plus and interact with their community.

and yeah, I hope that more Ack the request.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

No excuses, just plain old logic and reason - stop writing crappy code and stop the practice of NIH. When those 2 are followed, you have something decent that can be merged.

I'm totally with David Airlie on this - I want it in, but not if it's a big steaming pile of duplicate code that introduces a bunch of useless abstractions - to me, sounds like they just took a big chunk of code from fglrx, and said "here, merge this in" - didn't bother integrating with the kernel's DRM stack at all.
        The original DAL code had a lot of abstractions that didn't make use of core DRM infrastructure in the kernel, but it sounds like a lot of that has been cleaned up since then. I have read in the past that the DAL/DC/whatever-we're-calling-it-today code was a clean-sheet design, and wasn't just lifted out of fglrx or the windows drivers... It just didn't use the existing kernel DRM infrastructure that well.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
          Perfect timing! Just yesterday I installed a RX580 to substitute a broken nvidia gt760. :-)
          I just installed an RX580 as well, to replace a radeon 7770! (Had a 390X that I burnt out with years of constant BOINCing too).

Comment

When (if) this gets ack'ed by Linus, is there a email or social account where I can send a personalized "thanky ou" message to the devs?
            Both Linus and Greg are active on Google+ and interact with their community.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
              It looks like you missed a few months (almost twenty of them), or perhaps are you posting from the past, browsing the current web thanks to IP over Time protocol.

By the way it looks like the oldest Phoronix's article about DAL/DC is this one, such a long route to this day! Not good for GPU users, but very good for news publishers and readers. Thanks Michael for the coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

I prefer to say not practical.
                If you want to use a modern distro it isn't a matter of being practical or not: you simply cannot use it, which means that it's useless. For those who like to stick to ancient software AMDGPU-PRO is totally fine anyway. Better?
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

If you want to use a modern distro it isn't a matter of being practical or not: you simply cannot use it, which means that it's useless. For those who like to stick to ancient software AMDGPU-PRO is totally fine anyway. Better?
                  Or.. you could just install the DC kernel from a PPA... its a bit buggy but did give me HDMI audio on my RX560 (on one TV at least).

Comment

Originally posted by BS86 View Post
                    Both Linus and Greg are active on Google+ and interact with their community.
                    I think he meant AMD developers.

Comment

https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/amd-gfx

Comment

Working...
                      X