No announcement yet.

AMDGPU DC Pull Request Submitted For Linux 4.15: Finally The New Display Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU DC Pull Request Submitted For Linux 4.15: Finally The New Display Stack

Phoronix: AMDGPU DC Pull Request Submitted For Linux 4.15: Finally The New Display Stack

Christmas looks like it may be coming early this year for Radeon Linux users... The AMDGPU DC pull request is finally out!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It will be a great moment for AMD devs once this is in, it represents a huge lot of work.

The most exciting part is that it is the basis for even better things to come, as this should facilitate things like OpenCL moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
      The most exciting part is that it is the basis for even better things to come, as this should facilitate things like OpenCL moving forward.
      … but OpenCL has nothing to do with display management, pageflipping, modesetting or anything that goes over the display connector …

Comment

I wonder what David is going to come up this time to stop DAL/DC from being merged? Not enough time to properly review the code? Too much redundant code because they're not cleaning away all the old AMD display code? Still too much abstraction going on? Code quality not up to standards?

The last one would be particularly eyebrow raising remembering the state in which he merged TinyDRM and (rightfully) found himself on the receiving end of one of Linus' rants where he called it "absolute pure shit that has never seen a compiler".

Comment

Hooray

It took a little longer than i hoped, and we still have to cross fingers, but things are moving forward.

Comment

Finally, great work.

Comment

Next step: opensource AMD Vulkan!

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                I wonder what David is going to come up this time to stop DAL/DC from being merged? Not enough time to properly review the code? Too much redundant code because they're not cleaning away all the old AMD display code? Still too much abstraction going on? Code quality not up to standards?
                Please cut that crap! Your statement contains malicious allegations and and falsehoods.

To everyone else: Daniel Vetter just ACK'd the series: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/153482.html

More important is whether merging a new driver base will benefit the overall subsystem, and here this primarily means whether the DC team understands how upstream works and is designed, and whether the code is largely aligned with upstream (especially the atomic modeset) architecture.

Looking back over the last two years I think that's the case now, so

Acked-by: Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch>

for merging this pull.
                My favorite bit:
                And yes some of the files are utterly horrible to read and not anything close to kernel coding style standards. But that's the point, they're essentially gospel from hw engineers that happens to be parseable by gcc.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

… but OpenCL has nothing to do with display management, pageflipping, modesetting or anything that goes over the display connector …
                  But the resources that are currently bind by the dc code can now work on other areas.

Comment

Originally posted by schwarzman View Post
                    Please cut that crap! Your statement contains malicious allegations and and falsehoods.
                    Care to explain what those "falsehoods" are? Because I get the feeling you're trying to defend this maintainer using allegations because of a lack of actual arguments.

My favorite bit:
                    He's complaining about what they look like, not what quality the actual code inside is. Being heavily based on AMD's internal Windows code there's obviously going to be style differences between that and what the kernel uses.

Comment

Working...
                    X