Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU DC Pull Request Submitted For Linux 4.15: Finally The New Display Stack

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

    If you don't get why you pissed off Linus by passing on code you hadn't as much as compile tested and wouldn't even compile I'm not sure lead maintainer is the right job for you the same way CSO wasn't quite the right job for the person who just quit from that position at Equifax.



    If your idea of code in a state ready to be mainlined includes code that throws up nasty compiler warnings and doesn't even compile I don't think your judgment on what's good code and what's bad code is all that reliable.



    If you pushing TinyDRM to Linus in the state that you did is anything to go on you should probably let someone else make that decision.
    Ah you could have tried harder, you need to spend more time at troll school.

    The tinydrm code was compile tested in a fair few configurations, just not one particular one that Linus used. You probably can't understand code more complex than 5 lines, but the kernel is a complex place to work in, the number of possible CONFIG_ options is nearly impossible to test exhaustively.

    But you keep on telling yourself you know what you are doing.

    Dave.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by airlied View Post
      Ah you could have tried harder, you need to spend more time at troll school.

      The tinydrm code was compile tested in a fair few configurations, just not one particular one that Linus used. You probably can't understand code more complex than 5 lines, but the kernel is a complex place to work in, the number of possible CONFIG_ options is nearly impossible to test exhaustively.

      But you keep on telling yourself you know what you are doing.

      Dave.
      Oh yes, the usual "Anyone who criticizes me is a troll" attitude that you see from people who have reached the peak of the peter principle.
      "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

        Oh yes, the usual "Anyone who criticizes me is a troll" attitude that you see from people who have reached the peak of the peter principle.
        I am sure that he accepts criticism just fine from his peers, just not from random people on the Internet

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by boxie View Post
          I am sure that he accepts criticism just fine from his peers, just not from random people on the Internet
          I'm not so sure he does that either seeing how he brushed of Linus chewing him out for his TinyDRM screw-up as Linus just being "an idiot".

          I personally subscribe to a pretty similar set of ideas to Linus on criticism. The higher you sit on the figurative totem pole, the more should be expected of you. Another way of putting it is that the higher you rank, the less space you have for excuses and just brushing off criticism.
          Last edited by L_A_G; 28 September 2017, 04:00 AM.
          "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

            I'm not so sure he does that either seeing how he brushed of Linus chewing him out for his TinyDRM screw-up as Linus just being "stupid".
            Did you not see the explanation he gave? makes complete sense as to why it slipped through the cracks.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by boxie View Post

              I am sure that he accepts criticism just fine from his peers, just not from random people on the Internet
              Plus, Linus has no idea how GPU drivers work. So occasionally he just gets pissed and rants around for no reasonable reasons at all, and we need to tell him to be a reasonable again and a grown up.

              But way too many forum trolls drank the Linus-is-TEh-awesome koolaid and just can't see that. It's entertaining to watch at least.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by boxie View Post
                Did you not see the explanation he gave? makes complete sense as to why it slipped through the cracks.
                He didn't even try to address the tens of lines of compiler warnings or the points about the chains of nestled defines nor does he address the issue he uses to excuse the compile failure.
                "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

                  He didn't even try to address the tens of lines of compiler warnings or the points about the chains of nestled defines nor does he address the issue he uses to excuse the compile failure.
                  Sounds like you never actually managed to compile things even once, much less understand what gcc tells you. I'm impressed. Where's your hundreds of kernel patches merged into upstream that actually show you have any idea at all what you're babbling about?

                  0/10, not even amused, much lesss entertained. Please try to troll harder.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by danvet View Post
                    Sounds like you never actually managed to compile things even once, much less understand what gcc tells you. I'm impressed. Where's your hundreds of kernel patches merged into upstream that actually show you have any idea at all what you're babbling about?
                    There's minor things GCC can complain about and then there's more major things. I think Linus, being the original creator and lead maintainer of the whole Linux project, can tell the two apart. When he complains about nasty compiler warnings, it's probably worth taking note.

                    You may have had a point if it was just me, some random schmuck on the internet, talking about the compiler warnings. However I'm pretty sure Linus has a much better idea of what kinds of warnings thrown up by GCC are worth being worried by than random internet schmuck #2 (i.e you).

                    0/10, not even amused, much lesss entertained. Please try to troll harder.
                    Translation: I don't have an argument so I'm just going to act like this guy is trolling and claim victory that way.
                    "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

                      There's minor things GCC can complain about and then there's more major things. I think Linus, being the original creator and lead maintainer of the whole Linux project, can tell the two apart. When he complains about nasty compiler warnings, it's probably worth taking note.

                      You may have had a point if it was just me, some random schmuck on the internet, talking about the compiler warnings. However I'm pretty sure Linus has a much better idea of what kinds of warnings thrown up by GCC are worth being worried by than random internet schmuck #2 (i.e you).



                      Translation: I don't have an argument so I'm just going to act like this guy is trolling and claim victory that way.
                      Oh I'm a random internet schmuck who accidentally has 3k commits in the kernel and happened to be invited to the kernel summit last 4 times. Seriously, you need to try harder ... this isn't much fun like this.

                      1/10 at least I chuckled.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X