• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
    DC under way: [pull] amdgpu dc drm-next-4.15-dc

It seems to be near. - Finally!
    Nice find! let's hope they have things in a condition that Dave likes

Comment

Are there Powerplay Patches for GCN 1.0 as well?

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
        DC under way: [pull] amdgpu dc drm-next-4.15-dc
        https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/153449.html

It seems to be near. - Finally!
        Oh wow, that is awesome!!! Finally they kept their promise to upstream... and I think right in time before the availability of the custom Vega cards :-) This will allow AMD to reduce all the issues users complain about and I think it will reduce complexity with the different driver paths as well. Now I can happily buy one once the custom Vega's are released.

Comment

Wait, this is weird. I've been running an R9 390 on the open source drivers for the past 2 years. And atleast for the past several months, I've been using the AMDGPU kernel driver with the Radeon driver blacklisted.......and the CIK support enabled and all that. So......how is it that the card didn't have power management support all along? dmesg shows that dpm was turned on. Infact, I recently started facing hangs in the past 2-3 months due to dpm - and had to turn it off. And performance on Witcher 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 is definitely way worse with dpm=0 than without - what's going on?

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
            Wait, this is weird. I've been running an R9 390 on the open source drivers for the past 2 years. And atleast for the past several months, I've been using the AMDGPU kernel driver with the Radeon driver blacklisted.......and the CIK support enabled and all that. So......how is it that the card didn't have power management support all along? dmesg shows that dpm was turned on. Infact, I recently started facing hangs in the past 2-3 months due to dpm - and had to turn it off. And performance on Witcher 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 is definitely way worse with dpm=0 than without - what's going on?
            powerplay is not the same as dpm. I think its just a newer implementation that shares code with windows.
            edit: yep, that was it: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...erPlay-Patches

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              "initial GPU reset support for Vega 10" sounds interesting!
              Yes, I wonder if this is to do with Virtualization support. I seem to remember Wendell mentioning it on level1 tech being a show stopper.

Comment

tomtomme Yes, I read afterwards that Powerplay is different from DPM. Anyway, I'm excited to try out this code tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                  powerplay is not the same as dpm.
                  Functionally, they are equivalent, we are just trying to reduce code paths and share more code between asics which use similar power management hw.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Functionally, they are equivalent, we are just trying to reduce code paths and share more code between asics which use similar power management hw.
                    thanks for the clarification

Comment

Working...
                    X