Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Submits Initial AMDGPU DRM Updates Slated For Linux 4.15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Submits Initial AMDGPU DRM Updates Slated For Linux 4.15

    Phoronix: AMD Submits Initial AMDGPU DRM Updates Slated For Linux 4.15

    Alex Deucher has submitted the initial AMD Direct Rendering Manager updates for pulling into DRM-Next that in turn will hit the Linux 4.15 kernel...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...U-Linux-4.15-1

  • #2
    "initial GPU reset support for Vega 10" sounds interesting!

    Comment


    • #3
      Ha! I'm so glad I gave up on AMD under Linux and bought an NVIDIA card. As evidenced by this article I was simply never going to be able to use my expensive R9 390. Oh well. I run a W10 KVM machine now with passthrough for my 390 so I can play all my games at full resolution and settings. But man, if I would have just bought an expensive NVIDIA card it turns out I wouldn't have even needed to do that. My low end GT 710 actually plays all my games, which AMD couldn't, it just runs them really slow.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by muncrief View Post
        ha! I'm so glad i gave up on amd under linux and bought an nvidia card. As evidenced by this article i was simply never going to be able to use my expensive r9 390. Oh well. I run a w10 kvm machine now with passthrough for my 390 so i can play all my games at full resolution and settings. But man, if i would have just bought an expensive nvidia card it turns out i wouldn't have even needed to do that. My low end gt 710 actually plays all my games, which amd couldn't, it just runs them really slow.
        pebkac

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fuzz View Post

          pebkac
          Ha again! Actually it was between pitifully immature open source driver, non-existent vendor driver, and awesome but therefore unusable hardware

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by muncrief View Post

            Ha again! Actually it was between pitifully immature open source driver, non-existent vendor driver, and awesome but therefore unusable hardware
            That's some petty bait to say the least, but I'll bite.

            I gave in and replaced my HD7950 with a GTX970 a few years ago due to radeonsi/mesa underperforming and lacking features, while fglrx was buggy as hell, also underperforming, proprietary and required me to hold off stable kernel/xorg upgrades for months.

            It was a good deal at the time, giving up mesa and a shell framebuffer for decent opengl performance, but the times where amd was still playing catch-up are past at this point. Nvidia has been working "fine" for the most part, yet they've stagnated to where they were ages ago. There's nothing interesting to say about any of their releases.

            They've been crippling their cards intentionally for ages (you'd probably have to fool your gpu to work in a vm if you tried with a gtx instead), veto already implemented waylanb support with their market share dominance, still can't seem to offer me and my tty a decent resolution and basically have introduced nothing new ever since I got my card (glvnd doesn't count cause it's their solution to their own problem).

            It's not as if AMD devs have been sitting on their asses. Getting those patches merged upstream takes time and, besides, for everyone not willing to wait there are ways to work around this. It's certainly way easier for a newcomer to work round this that booting an installer without graphics with a 1 year old gtx cause nvidia have been "busy" neglecting nouveau's pleas.

            AMD have finally made it up to me after all these years of promises (before they even started slowly delivering that is). I'm certain my next gpu is going to be a radeon. Fanboy mode off.
            Last edited by kon14; 09-26-2017, 07:29 PM. Reason: typos mostly

            Comment


            • #7
              So there is 4 weeks hope for DC, and then maybe in 4.16

              Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              Ha! I'm so glad I gave up on AMD under Linux and bought an NVIDIA card. As evidenced by this article I was simply never going to be able to use my expensive R9 390. Oh well. I run a W10 KVM machine now with passthrough for my 390 so I can play all my games at full resolution and settings. But man, if I would have just bought an expensive NVIDIA card it turns out I wouldn't have even needed to do that. My low end GT 710 actually plays all my games, which AMD couldn't, it just runs them really slow.
              Share some titles with us please. Maybe you have right, maybe i should sell my rx470 and buy gt710 if it's so good.
              Dude, I know that 290/390 situation is not perfect with radeon drv and you have yours right to complain but GT710? Really?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                Ha! I'm so glad I gave up on AMD under Linux and bought an NVIDIA card. As evidenced by this article I was simply never going to be able to use my expensive R9 390.
                moron, nvidia cards do not work with amdgpu kernel module(which is evidenced by this article)
                Last edited by pal666; 09-26-2017, 08:17 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  DC under way: [pull] amdgpu dc drm-next-4.15-dc
                  https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/153449.html

                  It seems to be near. - Finally!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
                    DC under way: [pull] amdgpu dc drm-next-4.15-dc
                    https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/153449.html

                    It seems to be near. - Finally!
                    Awesome!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X