No announcement yet.

R600 Gallium3D To End Code Sharing With RadeonSI Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R600g still includes support for Amd's old terascale architecture... RadeonSI would probably benefit from being able to move that code out into a completely separate stable driver. Then everything RadeonSI has to care about is GCN.

Comment

Eric and I did this for i915 vs i965 (almost completely different architectures) a while back. It was absolutely the right call, and I've never once regretted it.
      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        New mining code not compatible with non-mining architectures, splitting is necessary to make linux the One Big Mining Platform of all times.
        Completely unrelated bullshit nonsese troll post.

Comment

a good ideia, this way is more easy to control complety different drivers and hardware

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
            R600g still includes support for Amd's old terascale architecture... RadeonSI would probably benefit from being able to move that code out into a completely separate stable driver. Then everything RadeonSI has to care about is GCN.
            radeonsi supports (and has ever supported) only GCN hardware. Any Terascale hardware is supported by r600.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              So what will happen to R600_TEX_ANISO variable that's now used to force anisotropic filtering for both radeonsi and r600? Will there be a separate one for radeonsi? It's very useful in older games in Wine.
              There are no plans to remove existing environment variables.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

There are no plans to remove existing environment variables.
                Thanks, that's good to know. Though naming would become somewhat misleading, given that those are going to be separate code paths.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  R600 is pretty much abandoned, as an HD 6770 user I have no problem with it as long as it keeps working as it does now, it is time to move on, bad news for laptop users tho.

For desktop users it is not that bad, they can replace to any "GCN" 2nd hand from earlier series. The only problem I see now is that "performance per dollar" didn't changed at all in "low-mid" range hardware. For example, it makes no sense to pay the same amount of money (or even 20% more) for same/similar amount of performance, so example below:

I've paid about 90e my HD6770, it was not a bad deal 5 years ago. Now, for the same amount of money I can buy R7 250, that is generally slower GPU, but due to the drivers and archtecture improvement can keep up I guess, or pay 120e for RX550 that is marginally faster (but same goes for drivers as for 250), and especially having on mind 5 years gap, performance increase for that segment is just terrible and doesn't make any sense to upgrade.

You would expect in 5 years for performance to be at least double if not tripple for same amount of money, that simply isn't the case, at least at local stores, you can always get better deal ordering online (about 10-15% cheaper) or ordering from retails not present locally, but that's not the path I would be fine with, and savings are not worth the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                    R600 is pretty much abandoned, as an HD 6770 user I have no problem with it as long as it keeps working as it does now, it is time to move on, bad news for laptop users tho.
                    This issue is happening on PC that was bought last year. You are right and stuff, but this hardware still get sold to people.

Comment

Working...
                    X