A Fresh Kernel Spin For Those Wanting To Use RX Vega On Linux Or AMDGPU DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fresh Kernel Spin For Those Wanting To Use RX Vega On Linux Or AMDGPU DC

Phoronix: A Fresh Kernel Spin For Those Wanting To Use RX Vega On Linux Or AMDGPU DC

For those running Ubuntu/Debian and wanting a kernel with the very latest AMDGPU DRM support along with the very bleeding edge DC display code patches, I've done a fresh spin today in preparation for my latest RadeonSI/RADV Vega benchmarking...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do you think you can provide kernel headers?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Do you think you can provide kernel headers?
      Are you asking out of personal interest? If so, happy to upload them for you. Right now that system is running some tests but as soon as that current round of benchmarking finishes up, can get them uploaded.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Are you asking out of personal interest? If so, happy to upload them for you. Right now that system is running some tests but as soon as that current round of benchmarking finishes up, can get them uploaded.
        Oh, never mind... I was just asking in case somebody has DKMS modules and wants to use your kernel permanently...

Comment

This doesn't actually work with Freesync right? Freesync only works if the usermode driver supports it but only the AMDGPU-PRO usermode driver supports it, and that only works properly with AMDGPU-PRO kernel modules?

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
            This doesn't actually work with Freesync right? Freesync only works if the usermode driver supports it but only the AMDGPU-PRO usermode driver supports it, and that only works properly with AMDGPU-PRO kernel modules?
            Freesync support is broken apparently, and has been for quite a while.

Has anyone successfully enabled Freesync with this kernel? I couldn't get it to work despite xrandr saying it's enabled. Monitor still acts as if it was fixed refresh rate. Ubuntu-GNOME 17.04 R7 17...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Oh, never mind... I was just asking in case somebody has DKMS modules and wants to use your kernel permanently...
              I'd like em.
              I'm running Vega and I'm impressed and I'll try your new kernel
              In fact the Open source driver seems to be better than the Windows driver for the desktop environment specifically....

Current issues:
              GPU have locked itself in a higher clock state once.
              Artifacts are seen when starting 3d applications semi to full-screen.
              Artifacts was observed on all logo's in Deus Ex MD + in game, Jensen became a smurf.
              short term artifacts on steam menu's when howering quickly between them..

but it's not any stable release I'm on but I'm a month into vega on Linux and I'm impressed!

Comment

Is there a debian specific way to use make-kpkg directly and build a true debian kernel based on this source?

Unpacking linux-image-4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc (4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc-1) ...
                Setting up linux-image-4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc (4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc-1) ...
                Error! Your kernel headers for kernel 4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc cannot be found.
                Please install the linux-headers-4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc package,
                or use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located
                Error! Your kernel headers for kernel 4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc cannot be found.
                Please install the linux-headers-4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc package,
                or use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located
                update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc
                Generating grub configuration file ...
                Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-rc7-amd64
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-rc7-amd64
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.12.0-1-amd64
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.12.0-1-amd64
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.11.0-2-amd64
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.11.0-2-amd64
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.11.0-1-amd64
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.11.0-1-amd64
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-2-amd64
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-2-amd64
                done

Seriously? Are we that naive not to include a separate deb for the header files?
                Last edited by Marc Driftmeyer; 13 September 2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Still testing... Encountering many Vega hangs not sure yet if related to the kernel code or recent Mesa changes since my last Vega tests.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

For the M-Bab kernel I recently had to revert to the 4.12 (with amd-staging-4.12 DC) kernel because several users reported stability issues with the 4.13 (based on amd-staging-drm-next) kernel: https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kerne...commits/master

For the people missing the header package: It is included in my repo mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                    X