AMDGPU DC Display Code Tacks On Another 28 Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    RADV is slower then OpenGL in all the tests I have seen.
    Wierd, that isn't what we are hearing. If everyone has a Xeon then maybe, most of our users are on more modest hardware than phoronix, and on those radv is faster. Even on the Xeon I think we are faster at Talos.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Sure it's a Vulkan driver, but no thanks to AMD at all.
      Huh?

radv has lots of code shared with radeonsi, lots of code derived from radeonsi, and uses the same backend LLVM compiler. Lots of thanks to AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post

Huh?

radv has lots of code shared with radeonsi, lots of code derived from radeonsi, and uses the same backend LLVM compiler. Lots of thanks to AMD.
        Ok that's fair enough. But the sentiment of that is rooted in the pro driver code. I know I didn't say enough to get that across.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
          Huh?

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          Ok that's fair enough. But the sentiment of that is rooted in the pro driver code. I know I didn't say enough to get that across.
          No, I don't think any of that is rooted in the pro driver code... except to the extent that the pro driver is rooted in the open source driver. Everything airlied mentioned comes from the open source GL driver not the pro driver.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Probably a result of still having quite a small team working on the Linux stuff. Is it 2 now working on Linux drivers full time from AMD? (excluding external contributions)
            do you mean "all linux drivers" or "opening vulkan driver" ? in first case it is much more, in second case it is much less

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
              however, I rather prefer independent open source efforts, as the vendor's Windows code often does not live up to such a great quality, ... :-/
              then you should do independent open source effort, because when you only give advice from couch, windows code exists and works

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                Capturing 90% of the Linux market would certainly have been good for them
                exactly as good as capturing 1% of total market. for 1% of total market you get 1% of total development resources

Comment

If the Linux dev community had got complete datasheets i doubt it would have taken them this long to implement the support from scratch.
                  linux dev community have datasheets for r600 and ten years later it still didn't implement opengl support and switched to implementing radv

Comment

I am saying that in the case of complete, proper documentation being available, it is not that hard to implement it.
                    i am saying that this is wishful thinking

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

No, I don't think any of that is rooted in the pro driver code... except to the extent that the pro driver is rooted in the open source driver. Everything airlied mentioned comes from the open source GL driver not the pro driver.
                      And that exactly the point. Nothing comes from the pro driver despite years old promises.
                      Last edited by duby229; 13 September 2017, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X