No announcement yet.

AMDGPU DC Display Code Tacks On Another 28 Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still waiting for Freesync over HDMI.. its been in display port forever, whats the hold up?

Comment

RADV is slower then OpenGL in all the tests I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
        Radv on cik, vi and Polaris passes as many conformance tests as pro as works better in many games, not sure what vash63 is smoking.
        That's amazing!
        How far is SI?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Does not originate from AMD, but it's AMD developers who are working on it. If that's a problem, we could discard all Mesa, because Mesa does not originate from AMD.
          Last time i checked neither bas nor david were employed by amd.

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
            Still waiting for Freesync over HDMI.. its been in display port forever, whats the hold up?
            HDMI spec itself (wait for HDMI 2.1). Likely, newer AMD chips will support it, as the Xbox One X is said to.
            But why at all use HDMI when DP has been there for a long time?

Comment

This change would be nice to benchmark on slow cpus.

Comment

This is advancing painfully slowly. I am building a VR setup around christmas and if this support is not accepted for the next release by then i have no reason to go for AMD over nvidia. How is it possible AMD does not allocate enough resources to have proper release day open source support for the Vega, when all other aspects were decent. Capturing 90% of the Linux market would certainly have been good for them, and the way things have played out at least me and my friends are starting to lose patience with this neverending tweaking.

If the Linux dev community had got complete datasheets i doubt it would have taken them this long to implement the support from scratch.

Comment

What's RADV then? A Directx driver?
                  Sure it's a Vulkan driver, but no thanks to AMD at all.

Comment

Does not originate from AMD, but it's AMD developers who are working on it. If that's a problem, we could discard all Mesa, because Mesa does not originate from AMD.
                    That's not true exactly. There are 2 main contributors and neither one of them work for AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                      How is it possible AMD does not allocate enough resources to have proper release day open source support for the Vega, when all other aspects were decent.
                      The problem is that AMD doesn't have an infinite amount of resources. Putting resources on some task would be at the detriment of another.

Capturing 90% of the Linux market would certainly have been good for them
                      Please keep in mind that, while Linux has become ubiquitous or even dominant on nearly every other platform (embed, routers, modems, IoT, smart-phones, smart-TV, clusters, fileserver, web server, NAS boxes, in-vehicle infotainment, Cloud server, etc.), desktop is one of the last few corners where Linux is still a small player.

90% of a small part of the market share is still a small total result.

In theory, it would be hard to argument in favor of Linux development, even if in practice AMD (as well as Intel) DO believe in open-source, and DO set aside resources for it (publishing docs, having developers on their payroll, etc.)

But still, more resources put toward Linux development is fewer resources put toward making sure that the Windows gaming experience is good on day one.

Of course, long-term, that's what AMDGPU and DC/DAL/"the code" hopes to achieve : shared concepts across platforms so one platform won't be anymore to the detriment of another.
                      But we still aren't there yet.

Still, big kudos to AMD who keeps trying even if it is still an uphill battle for them.
                      At least they ARE trying and putting lots of efforts ! (Nvidia, I'm looking at you...)

If the Linux dev community had got complete datasheets i doubt it would have taken them this long to implement the support from scratch.
                      Even the datasheets themselves require going through legal department to validate and authorise them. Which takes time.
                      Again at least AMD will eventually publish theirs, unlike some of their competition.

For me "slow but eventually getting there" is still better than "not even bothering to try".
                      Good luck trying to run Nvidia drivers reliably on a rolling distro.

Comment

Working...
                      X