No announcement yet.

Radeon Vega Firmware Binaries Added To Linux Firmware Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for Fedora. We have multiple Fedora servers and _many_ workstations. So far we have not found any other distro that is stable and yet up to date. Also, the system upgrade is top notch which greatly simplifies everything. FYI, we used to be an Ubuntu shop - I don't think we have any Ubuntu boxes left however.

Comment

Thanks!
      do you run any additional repositories on fedora for mesa etc?

Comment

At work we usually run stock packages as Fedora is very up to date (one of the reason why we use it). For example, current kernel is 4.12.5 and Mesa 17.1.5.

At home on occasion I use Mystro256 COPR repos (COPR is similar to PPA on Ubuntu) which contains latest kernel + AMD patches so you can get functionality like audio over HDMI. See here:

I have not bothered to try any newer mesa builds as everything I use (including some games) seem to work well with Mesa 17.1.5, but there are bleeding edge builds of Mesa on COPR as well. Example:

Comment

Forgot to say that you can get all the non-standard packages (such is video codecs, nvidia drivers, etc) from couple of repos.

RPMFusion:

Negativo17:
          I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

Also, someone made a very nifty little GUI script called "Fedy" that allows you to install audio/video codecs, enable DVD playback and install proprietary apps (like Chrome or dropbox plugin) with a click of a button:
          รวมหวยเด็ด หวยดัง ข่าวหวยซองมาแรง huaythai 999 สมัคร เข้าระบบ member today รับ เลขเด็ด ก่อนใคร มีหวยมากมาย ทั้ง รัฐบาล ฮานอย ลาว แม่นๆ เข้าบ่อย คลิก

Comment

Brilliant. I'm going to test it out on laptop first. Cheers!

Comment

Back to Vega as topic itself: Is there a working method out there to get access to the V-BIOS under Linux to modify it? I've tweaked two whole days under Windows to get a halfway optimized 24/7 overclock/undervolt riding the red line between power-consumption and stable clocks.

One of the most needed features (from my point of view) is access to the lower P-states (1-5) instead of just 6-7 to get undervolting/overclocking going in modes that are not >15% power-target. Also, access to memory timings/subtimings on the HBM2 would be great as well as stable software capable of reliable reading and setting voltages. Wattman right now is a pure hit-and-miss software, that only in combination with Watttool and some workarounds (like re-applying values on core after changing memory settings) works halfway accurate.

I want/need access to the V-Bios in all 3 power-presets and fully unlocked custom one. The card has headroom of ~33% more efficiency compared to the factory-settings.

Comment

If you are getting sick of Debian, you should give Solus a try,

Comment

I've been using Manjaro for 2 year more or less, so far so good, only had to reinstall when changed DE from XFCE to gnome and later to KDE.

Don't need to reinstall everything each 6 months like I used to do when was using ubuntu

Comment

Working...
                  X