Vega issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vega issue

So I've got a Vega FE some time ago, and I'm having a major trouble with the open driver.

The issue is that after ~3-30 minutes of uptime, under X, the card hangs and the tach turns fully on. And I'm unable to recover a console (not even via SysRq).

I'm still able to use the hwmon, though.

​​​​amdgpu_gpu_reset only prints "[drm] No hardware hang detected. Did some blocks stall?" in the dmesg.

Memory usage has been fine, so it is not a memory leak.

The card works perfectly under AMDGPU-PRO.

I'm using the kernel driver from AMDGPU-PRO, with the Mesa userspace driver, because I don't want to quit using the awesome RT patches.

Oh, and the system's specs:

- Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO
    - Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K (stock freqs)
    - Distro: Arch Linux
    - Kernel version: 4.9.20-4-rt16-rt-bfq
    - LLVM/Clang version: 5.0 RC2
    - Mesa version: 17.2-rc4

I'll try to provide more information if needed. Thanks for almost any help.

Oh, one more thing: I don't want to use Debian testing with XFCE and Ubuntu packages.

Not really. I just tried with amd-staging-drm-next and hung again.

(although it took much longer to hang)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      You are using really old kernel, no wonder you vega does not work. Forget your rt patches and use agd5f wip kernels. Make a non debug 1000Hz timer kernel, there is enough real time. Check that you have enabled: Reroute Broken IRQ, Virtualization KVM and 1000Hz CPU timer, I also disabled Swap, Kernel Debug, CPU Freq scaling , Cpu handling in Acpi, Used Bios to control CPU and devices.
      I doubt that's going to help. I have most of these things set.

Also, did you read I tested the amd-staging-drm-next kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Playing with kernel config you can try to make it stable. Try also https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...d-staging-4.12 kernel. Phoronix did not have such problems, maybe you should try with Debian testing , a custom kernel and Padoka ppa.
        I'll check if this reproduces using a different distro later, I think.

Comment

Update: it crashes on AMDGPU-PRO as well, although very rarely (~2 times per month). Is my card defective?

dmesg: https://pastebin.com/jYrVf5Y4
          Last edited by tildearrow; 30 August 2017, 01:02 AM. Reason: add dmesg

Comment

Working...
          X