Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Benchmarks Showing How Gallium3D With RX Vega Smacks AMDGPU-PRO's OpenGL Proprietary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny how Vega performs so well in Phoronix benchmarks (also Blender etc), but most gaming sites are complaining how bigly the release failed. Apparently the gamers aren't pairing Threadrippers with Vega and perhaps 64 to 128 GB of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Funny how Vega performs so well in Phoronix benchmarks (also Blender etc), but most gaming sites are complaining how bigly the release failed. Apparently the gamers aren't pairing Threadrippers with Vega and perhaps 64 to 128 GB of RAM.
      Which gaming sites are using the open source driver?

Comment

Just Phoronix AFAIK...

... then again that might have something to do with all the other sites being Windows-only.
        Test signature

Comment

Thank you. This benchmark makes public TODO list for RadeonSI.

I eold like to ask if there is plan to test different CPUs from different vendors with VEGA, but I was partialy answered that you are waiting for Ryzen
          Threadripper and Epyc. Will this be only test for VEGA or not?

Comment

Nice comparison, it shows how much work went into the open source driver stack by AMD and we all know there will be many more improvements and optimizations ☺️ Yes, some years ago we couldn't dream about these results, exciting times!

Comment

Phoronix is kinda well known on the other hardware-sites, so people do know that the Linux drivers are in very good shape and people start looking at Linux, with some peeps here and there trying it out. Of course, the relative number of people using Linux will stay rather low, but it helps.

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Threadripper sees a pretty hefty dependency on optimized games. Well written ones that can be called a "tech demo" like AotS profit from more cores, poorly optimized ones like GTA V suffer from it.

The difference in performance between games has become pretty huge - even between AAA games. As it stands, it looks pretty good for games optimized for "many" cores coupled with async compute and all the fancy stuff AMD talked about.

The disadvantage of this is, that the gaming industry needs to hire more engine-coding guys in order to take advantage of all the new tech - and we kind of know how happy the industry is about that. (looking at you Ubisoft and EA)

Hopefully, Bethesda will kickstart a new optimization cycle in the AAA-industry.

In any case: Great results. I'm eagerly awaiting 1080 Ti performance of the RX Vega on Linux. Once that hits, its time for me to buy a new (Freesync) monitor.

​​​​

Comment

I just read the article on Vega 56 on semiaccurate. They mentioned that multi monitor setup power consumption dropped very nicely. That's another interesting point to the Vega hardware.

Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Seeing "DISK" in the Phoronix Terminal feels archaic.

Like what year is it where data is stored on circular flat media

Comment

Mmmm Vega will be a perfect match for my system. When the display code get merged it will be a great buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
                      Mmmm Vega will be a perfect match for my system. When the display code get merged it will be a great buy.
                      Indeed. Anyway, WOW. The open driver humiliated the closed one so badly. :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X