Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Benchmarks Showing How Gallium3D With RX Vega Smacks AMDGPU-PRO's OpenGL Proprietary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I was told a week ago I would end up getting Epyc and Threadripper, though I am still waiting... Hopefully coming soon... Have a 40 core / 80 thread Intel box coming this week that wants some competition.
    You could use it for hosting Phoronix, so the site doesn't slow to a crawl/crash every time AMD releases something.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

You could use it for hosting Phoronix, so the site doesn't slow to a crawl/crash every time AMD releases something.
      The latest code updates should fix that for the future.... Phoronix is already running off dual Xeons, OpenBenchmarking.org on another pair of dual Xeons, all in a data center...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Oh yes, already been planning on it!
        Also swr (openswr). It's supposed to scale better with more threads, right?

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
          Also swr (openswr). It's supposed to scale better with more threads, right?
          Also interesting : it should make use of AVX512 (or not yet?) And that would give us an idea of what project Larrabee could have looked like

Comment

I have a suggestion to Michael and others: maybe it's time to raise the bar ?

I mean, that's already clear to everyone that the Pro-driver is behind the open-source.
            Can now start to do more tests "Windows (DX11/OGL) vs Linux" and not "Pro vs Open Source" ? You need to set a new bar and achieve it!
            Naturally, Pro-drivers can continue to use temporarily during the test of the Vulkan, but how long will it last ?

So I want some survey for the tests "Windows vs Linux". It will be intriguing!

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
              I have a suggestion to Michael and others: maybe it's time to raise the bar ?

I mean, that's already clear to everyone that the Pro-driver is behind the open-source.
              Can now start to do more tests "Windows (DX11/OGL) vs Linux" and not "Pro vs Open Source" ? You need to set a new bar and achieve it!
              Naturally, Pro-drivers can continue to use temporarily during the test of the Vulkan, but how long will it last ?

So I want some survey for the tests "Windows vs Linux". It will be intriguing!
              I don't keep Windows installs around, the test automation on Windows trails Linux, and too time consuming that only do it rarely when many premium members request.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't keep Windows installs around, the test automation on Windows trails Linux, and too time consuming that only do it rarely when many premium members request.
                This is very sad..
                But what's the point to test Pro-driver ?

Comment

May be (a) question to the amd team:

From among the new features Vega supports in hardware like:
                  - Draw Stream Binning Rasterizer (acc. computerbase is working under windows)
                  - High Bandwith Cache Controller (HBCC) (disabled under windows at default?)
                  - Primitive Shader (?) (missing under windows)
                  what needs driver support and what does radeonSI currently support already?

For items that need driver support but are currently not implemented, I hope we can expect support in the future, is there an ETA given and is any of that requiring "display" to be merged first?

I guess, only the future will tell, whether the hardware is error free for the currently not used parts, or is there already a positive feedback from internal tests? You should probably skip this question if it already turned out the opposite! The few Linux users should not spread bad news (if there would be any, not trying to create a rumor here!) ;-)

I will probably getting a Vega 56 anyway with a cooling solution from "board partners" if the miners allow for that and do not drive the prices up, just curious about the new architecture. There are a lot of transistors for the current performance.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenbit View Post
                    May be (a) question to the amd team:

From among the new features Vega supports in hardware like:
                    - Draw Stream Binning Rasterizer (acc. computerbase is working under windows)
                    - High Bandwith Cache Controller (HBCC) (disabled under windows at default?)
                    - Primitive Shader (?) (missing under windows)
                    what needs driver support and what does radeonSI currently support already?

This features belong to AMDGPU or RadeonSI? bridgman agd5f

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

This features belong to AMDGPU or RadeonSI? bridgman agd5f
                      Vega runs on the amdgpu only stack.

Comment

Working...
                      X