AMD Publishes Vega Shader ISA Documentation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zanny View Post
    It is cheap to sit at home and write code.

It is expensive to build a factory to fabricate silicon.
    Yeah, because you don't buy the computer you code and compile in, you always build it from scratch.

Hint: most semiconductor companies are fabless.

Right now, the free software movement is way too cash limited to attempt to build out its own hardware infrastructure, even if that is what we want.
    No. Right now the free software movement hasn't yet aknowledged that open hardware is a thing at all (like say RISCV that is hailed and sponsored by everyone apart from Intel because reasons).

Comment

I've read it just now. If nothing else, it's the first document that I managed to understand and get a grip on how tghat damn thing works. Previous ISA versions lacked too much context for someone to start from scratch.

Is there a document describing instruction troughput and latencies ( something like optimisation guide for CPU families) ?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

It's just a big printer

Back in the early days of CMOS there were a number of different foundries offering small-batch production for a really good price, and every university was designing and building their own RISC processors. Those were the days when GPUs had thousands of transistors though, not billions.
        AMD sell custom hardware designs to microsoft and sony and nintendo and many more companies...

but amd are not even want to tell the F(l)OSS community how much this kind of service costs to build a open-source-gpu...
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

so i read every landing page of your links and still no answer to my question.
          i think one main problem is that companies like amd do not take FLOSS people seriously...

Comment

You asked how much this kind of service costs - the first link was an actual price list and the second link had a price list pdf in the top left corner. First one for academic, second for commercial IIRC.

What more are you looking for ?
            Last edited by bridgman; 08-12-2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

You asked how much this kind of service costs - the first link was an actual price list and the second link had a price list pdf in the top left corner. First one for academic, second for commercial IIRC.

What more are you looking for ?
              if i order every service you liked to me i am sure i will not get any sane result. just a feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                if i order every service you liked to me i am sure i will not get any sane result. just a feeling.
                I don't know all of the foundries on the list, but I recognize quite a few of them and the ones I recognize are used for production by other fabless semiconductor companies. They are as good as it gets.

The big cost savings comes from sharing a wafer with other customers, so the high cost of preparing and running a batch of wafers gets spread around and you get more or fewer chips depending on how much of the wafer surface was allocated to you. Downside is that it might take some time for enough customers to fill up the wafer, but that is going to depend on how much of this business each fab is getting.

Find one or two local universities with chip design programs and talk to them... then use the same fab(s) they do.
                Last edited by bridgman; 08-13-2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...gy_Sources_Act

I don't know all of the foundries on the list, but I recognize quite a few of them and the ones I recognize are used for production by other fabless semiconductor companies. They are as good as it gets.

The big cost savings comes from sharing a wafer with other customers, so the high cost of preparing and running a batch of wafers gets spread around and you get more or fewer chips depending on how much of the wafer surface was allocated to you. Downside is that it might take some time for enough customers to fill up the wafer, but that is going to depend on how much of this business each fab is getting.

Find one or two local universities with chip design programs and talk to them... then use the same fab(s) they do.
                  Well I am in politics now and I think we will make something like the German Renewable Energy Sources Act https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...gy_Sources_Act for open-source gpu hardware.

This means high Subsidies to start the market calculated by Tflops and RAM throughput and then every year 5-10% less subsidies.

We did the same for photovoltaics

Comment

bridgman we will pay high Subsidiy for any GPU hardware with these criteria:

(1.)Open-Source drivers
                    (2.)Open-Source Firmware/microcode
                    (3.)Patentfree Hardware or FLOSS GPLv3 style defence styled patent lizence. or https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN_O...rdware_Licence
                    (4.) Opensource-video and audio codex and NO support for MPEG LA condex
                    (5.) only support for open-standards NO CUDA and stuff like this support.

(Edit) i wrote a email to vips of my party (Deutsche-Mitte) to push this in the official political agenda.
                    Last edited by Qaridarium; 08-13-2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X