An Ubuntu Kernel Built With The Latest AMDGPU DC Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
    I am currently using a kernel I compiled from "amd-staging-drm-next" ( https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...aging-drm-next ), and it works better than other kernels for me as I need to drive a 4k monitor at 60Hz via HDMI. Allowing for audio via HDMI is a nice add-on. It also seems to not crash easily when the connected monitor is switched off - something I experienced a lot of times with linux-4.12.

Hardware video decoding works fine. However, trying to use hardware video encoding is sure to crash the machine within seconds. There are also still lots of scary log messages like "[drm:amdgpu_dm_atomic_check [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Unable to reserve buffer" - I guess it makes no sense for now to file bug reports on them, given the early stage of development.
    The amd-staging-drm-next tree is still a WIP as far as I know, but if you are seeing the same problems with amd-staging-4.12 (which should be pretty much the same code) I think we would want to know about it. Which hardware are you using ?

Originally posted by RobinIT View Post
    Is Freesync supposed to be working at this point? I built the latest amd-staging-drm-next which has a number of freesync patches from ~45h ago.

The props show up:
    $ xrandr --prop | grep freesync
    freesync_capable: 1
    freesync: 1
    freesync_capable: 0
    freesync: 0

But my monitor OSD says nope in various games. While it does show freesync is enabled under windows.
    Running R9 290 here, AMDGPU-PRO not tested, because the 1.19 Xorg is too shiny for it.
    I think you still need the -PRO stack for now - needs some code in either libdrm or the X driver IIRC - but there should be a spin of 17.30 coming out in the next week or so which supports 16.04.3 (and I believe 16.04.3 uses X 1.19).
    Last edited by bridgman; 12 August 2017, 02:04 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

bridgman

Comment

bridgman I'm on Ubuntu 17.04 hence attempting to downgrade to Xorg 1.18 sounds like too much of a pain to attempt. Out of curiosity I'll be sure to keep an eye on the new driver though. I'm sure with the Xorg 1.19 support we can coerce it into Ubuntu 17.04 as well.

Since I've been in a driver debugging spree lately I wondered if this freesync issue was something worth looking closer at or whether it's still too early. Some of these patches have commit messages suggesting it should work on Raven. While others call it broken legacy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          The amd-staging-drm-next tree is still a WIP as far as I know, but if you are seeing the same problems with amd-staging-4.12 (which should be pretty much the same code) I think we would want to know about it. Which hardware are you using ?
          I'm using an RX 460 (and a Ryzen 1800X CPU), and the video encoding function made the driver crash the system with every kernel version I tried so far (some time ago that was also amd-staging-4.12).
          What would be the best communication channel to provide a bug report?

(There are other bugs I also experience that do not seem to have gained much attention, such as https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100375 )

Comment

What would be the best communication channel to provide a bug report?
            bugs.freedesktop.org, either Mesa/Gallium3D/radeonsi or DRI/DRM/amdgpu - choosing between those would depend on what error messages / log info you get from the crash

(There are other bugs I also experience that do not seem to have gained much attention, such as https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100375 )
            That one seems to have been waiting for a response from the OP for ~4 months - developer response time was same day most of the time, 4 days for initial response. I realize that might not have been a good example though.
            Test signature

Comment

Agree, we need to get it there. Just a few higher priorities that needed to be done first - getting initial Vega support ready before the HW shipped, getting all the internal kernel trees aligned and then caught up with upstream, getting DAL ready for upstreaming, things like that.
              Test signature

Comment

Fair point, maybe the last bits for FreeSync using amd-staging-* should have been higher priority.

That said, the number of people needing out-of-box support for the last few generations of HW (without building their own kernel) seemed a lot higher than the number of people willing to build their own kernel and needing FreeSync.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  bugs.freedesktop.org, either Mesa/Gallium3D/radeonsi or DRI/DRM/amdgpu - choosing between those would depend on what error messages / log info you get from the crash
                  Unluckily, there is very little log output regarding the "video encoding system crashes", only:
                  Aug 13 02:52:18 ryzen kernel: [drm:amdgpu_dm_atomic_check [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Unable to reserve buffer
                  ... and that looks more like an effect than the root cause.

Anyway, I filed one bug report here:

And another one on the EDID issue:

Comment

These priorities work out for me though. I'm upgrading the 290 to a Vega 56 early on, hoping to get one before the miners start circling the remains of the resellers like vultures. Besides AMD needs to make some profits in the GPU market and competition is good for everybody. So new product support first is all good with me.

Team AMD is doing great to keep open-source development going. You know we want *all* the features eventually. So just keep up the good work.

Since we're going on tangents here anyway. Once the FreeSync work wraps up, shouldn't AMD release a new demo for FreeSync? The Windows-only elusive windmill thing is not that impressive to show off your new gear to team green fanboys. Some cross-platform demoing ammunition would be awesome to wrap up FreeSync support on Linux efforts. I mean, send out an AMD rep to license the assets from http://store.steampowered.com/app/58...er_Chronicles/ port it into a cross-platform framework and boom you have marketing material that feels a lot more 2017.

vs
                    Last edited by RobinIT; 14 August 2017, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Outstanding job AMD! The last annoying messages I had with my Fury X's are fixed. Cleanest dmesg yet pretty much Gold status.
                      Code:
                      amdgpu: [powerplay] Can't find requested voltage id in vdd_dep_on_sclk table!
                      amdgpu: [powerplay] Failed to setup PCC HW register! Wrong GPIO assigned for VDDC_PCC_GPIO_PINID!
                      *Just to be clear the above is fixed on my rig now.
                      I am also using AMD's processor microcode firmware available in the Gnome Software&Update>Additional Drivers tab.

Thanks M-Bab your 4.12.7+ AMDGPU.UBUNTU flavor is working Fantastically !
                      Code:
                       Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.12.7+
                       CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core @ 4GHz
                       M-Board : Crosshair V Formula-Z /BIOS 2201 RAM: 2495MiB / 16025MiB
                       GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 Fury Series (FIJI / DRM 3.18.0 / 4.12.7+, LLVM 6.0.0)
                       Samsung S23A950D Resolution: 1920x1080@120Hz
                      Just have to see how this plays with our Samsung UN50JU7500 the 4.11 staging was stuck at 30Hz didn't help that it was seen as an 85" screen instead to a 50"
                      Last edited by DarkFoss; 16 August 2017, 05:04 PM. Reason: *Clarity
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                      X