No announcement yet.

An Ubuntu Kernel Built With The Latest AMDGPU DC Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu "Artful Aardvark" (daily) still use the 4.10 kernel.
    I hope they push out the 4.13 kernel soon.

Comment

Is the CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_DCN1_0 option really needed at this time ?

Comment

Originally posted by gbil View Post
        Is the CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_DCN1_0 option really needed at this time ?
        Shouldn't, but I enabled it anyway.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          ... I kinda hope this means that Michael already has a Vega and needed a new kernel to get launch day perf tests done
          He said that he would get Vega card from AMD, so i think he got one to test until 14th of august.
          Rumors seems to imply that Vega 64 is the first card and some say Vega 56 would come in September but with a bit of luck we will see both 2017-08-14.

Comment

Didn't work on my KDE neon 5.10.4 and I had to revert back to kernel 4.10. It was giving me an ACPI Error, something about "Invalid PCI ROM header signature, expecting 0xaa55, got 0xffff".

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Ubuntu "Artful Aardvark" (daily) still use the 4.10 kernel.
              I hope they push out the 4.13 kernel soon.
              3 or 4 weeks to the 4.13 kernel however you can install the 4.12

Comment

Might be a stupid question, but what about the linux-headers package? Which one should I use or where should I take it from?

In any case, big thanks to you Michael!

Comment

Back from vacation I also updated my amd-staging kernel builds to 4.12 on https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries

Michael's kernel name clearly suggests to be ready for the new Vega GPUs but I think it is also important to mention that you have to grep the Vega10 firmware blobs as well. Otherwise even the open source driver won't work.

Comment

I am currently using a kernel I compiled from "amd-staging-drm-next" ( https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...aging-drm-next ), and it works better than other kernels for me as I need to drive a 4k monitor at 60Hz via HDMI. Allowing for audio via HDMI is a nice add-on. It also seems to not crash easily when the connected monitor is switched off - something I experienced a lot of times with linux-4.12.

Hardware video decoding works fine. However, trying to use hardware video encoding is sure to crash the machine within seconds. There are also still lots of scary log messages like "[drm:amdgpu_dm_atomic_check [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Unable to reserve buffer" - I guess it makes no sense for now to file bug reports on them, given the early stage of development.

Comment

Is Freesync supposed to be working at this point? I built the latest amd-staging-drm-next which has a number of freesync patches from ~45h ago.

The props show up:
                      $ xrandr --prop | grep freesync
                      freesync_capable: 1
                      freesync: 1
                      freesync_capable: 0
                      freesync: 0

But my monitor OSD says nope in various games. While it does show freesync is enabled under windows.
                      Running R9 290 here, AMDGPU-PRO not tested, because the 1.19 Xorg is too shiny for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X