Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    only linux has success
    Not sure about that... in the same way that Linux is in servers, phones and TVs you'll probably find QNX in most cars, a lot of audio equipment and probably quite a few airplanes as well. And recent BlackBerry phones, of course... fairly high numbers even though market share as a % is small.

Last time I looked QNX was pretty much the go-to OS for non-military safety-critical systems AFAIK.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      And recent BlackBerry phones, of course... fairly high numbers even though market share as a % is small.

Last time I looked QNX was pretty much the go-to OS for non-military safety-critical systems AFAIK.
      small % is niche success. but it won't last long, blackberry is nice example of linux destroying qnx.
      and on my limited sample automotive is migrating to linux from qnx

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        who said trade?
        so you think linux is successful not because it does something right, but because of fairy dust?
        Originally posted by rene View Post
        look at all those people developing and using Windows, are they all more right about their "awesome" product and ecosystem?
        microsoft was granted desktop monopoly and since then it abuses monopoly to keep monopoly. where it does not have monopoly(like phones), it fails

Comment

small % is niche success. but it won't last long, blackberry is nice example of linux destroying qnx.
          and on my limited sample automotive is migrating to linux from qnx
          I thought the the ones that use QNX needed an RTOS, i don't see linux as an valid RTOS.
          IIRC Ford has invested QNX and other car manufactures has followed.
          The linux system that car manufactures invested in before was meego and most didn't even know it was canceled for some time and just like magic microsoft had an offering instead but i never worked especially good.

Comment

Yep... and Meego was just for the entertainment systems, wasn't it ?
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
              I thought the the ones that use QNX needed an RTOS, i don't see linux as an valid RTOS.
              nobody really needs rtos for infotainment and there is realtime linux patchset
              IIRC Ford has invested QNX and other car manufactures has followed.
              The linux system that car manufactures invested in before was meego and most didn't even know it was canceled for some time and just like magic microsoft had an offering instead but i never worked especially good.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GENIVI_Alliance

Comment

nobody really needs rtos for infotainment and there is realtime linux patchset

Yes GENIVI Alliance was one of the users of Meego but it seems that Meego is left out on that wiki page, the GENIVI Apollo was to be meego based as well as Symphony Teleca.
                Patching linux kernel doesn't make it an real RTOS that's why i used the term "i don't see linux as an valid RTOS".
                I think that the use of an OS in a car i has evolved past In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) system.
                I think cars is getting more aware and we will see more safety systems that will need an RTOS.

Comment

Patching linux kernel doesn't make it an real RTOS that's why i used the term "i don't see linux as an valid RTOS".
                  with enough patching you can make it a qnx
                  I think that the use of an OS in a car i has evolved past In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) system.
                  I think cars is getting more aware and we will see more safety systems that will need an RTOS.
                  you don't need rtos for handling 25 fps camera
                  the more complex your application gets, the less sense is in running it on rtos. and for really low latency stuff you will use mcu anyway
                  When embedded projects call for for a real-time operating system, Linux developers often turn to PREEMPT-RT, the real-time kernel patch, to get it done. “The PREEMPT_RT patch (aka the -rt patch or RT patch) makes Linux into a real-time system,” said Steven Rostedt, a Linux kernel developer at Red Hat and maintainer of the stable version …

Comment

with enough patching you can make it a qnx
                    Yes actually it can be done with one gigantic patch in theory (there might be some any size limit), but then we should stat asking our self we it stops being considered Linux.
                    you don't need rtos for handling 25 fps camera
                    the more complex your application gets, the less sense is in running it on RTOS. and for really low latency stuff you will use mcu anyway
                    I do think that many systems is far more complex then running a 25fps camera.
                    I do think we will see a lot more safety features that need RTOS in europe at least we already have them i many cars.
                    I also think that they choose OS after what they expected they will need many manufactures has already used linux before.
                    The thing is that systems are getting way more complex that they have ever been before so cars starts to use more of an computer then a classic MCU.
                    One hot topic is the awareness of everything around the car like using cameras and radars for a 360 degrees awareness to see cars, pedestrians, lanes and signs and react if necessary.
                    Volvo and Toyota use NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 deep learning-based computing platform and a plattform from AdasWorks and guess what AdasWorks use QNX.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/0...ia-drive-px-2/
                    http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nv...sh-free-future
                    http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nv...utonomous-cars
                    It's easy to say that it's about self driving cars and that it's not relevant but the thing is that it's also about driver assistance and we will see it bit by bit in more cars just as we see auto brake assistance and parking assistance in cars today.
                    Like the CEO of Volvo says "Our vision is that by 2020 no one should be killed or seriously injured in a new Volvo car."
                    I think you look to much at the past and don't see where we actually are know and where we will be in the near future, but maybe this isn't a thing in USA as it is in Europe.
                    To bad AMD hasn't been around in this growing future volume market.

Comment

The Europeans may want to try and force car manufacturers into impossible endeavors, but the only thing you'll end up doing is screwing your currencies once again and lose even more EU members as a result.

When the cheapest cars there are the most expensive cars in the world and they still don't do what they advertise, you can ask yourself then if they wasted all that money and effort. If the promise is no more lives lost, then that -will- be a broken promise for sure. Will it be worth it?
                      Last edited by duby229; 16 August 2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X