With AMDGPU DC Not Aligning For Linux 4.14, 120 More Display Code Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With AMDGPU DC Not Aligning For Linux 4.14, 120 More Display Code Patches

Phoronix: With AMDGPU DC Not Aligning For Linux 4.14, 120 More Display Code Patches

It's looking almost certain that AMDGPU's display code (a.k.a. "DC" and "DAL") will not be merged for the next Linux 4.14 cycle, but work on this massive display code-base is progressing and 120 more patches were published today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did you miss https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...aging-drm-next ? It's the most up to date version of DC I've seen and is based on airlied's current drm-next branch. I think we're closer than ever to seeing DC merged, also as there is a flag for enabling DC it could be merged for 4.14 under staging if the other DRM folk are happy with the changes AMD have made

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Did you miss https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...aging-drm-next ? It's the most up to date version of DC I've seen and is based on airlied's current drm-next branch. I think we're closer than ever to seeing DC merged, also as there is a flag for enabling DC it could be merged for 4.14 under staging if the other DRM folk are happy with the changes AMD have made
      That would be so nice, I hope it happens like that. Or close to it.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        It's not over quite yet, we'll just have to wait and see. This is a lot very close to the window.

Comment

Get an AMD gpu, they said. It'll be fun, they said.

But to be honest, I have had much more pain with amdgpu than with Nvidia proprietary driver.

Comment

Its just nice to see some movement with all these patches even if its not quite there yet. Hopefully once this work is done we can finally get more of the features windows users already enjoy.

Comment

Very little typo:

Originally posted by phoronix
              will be cut off for Direct Rendering Manage drivers for

Comment

AMD is rocking these days. Can't wait to move over to an AMD Vega and sell my Nividia 1060. The day AMDGPU is mainlined is the day I order a Vega

Comment

Originally posted by J?rnS View Post
                  Get an AMD gpu, they said. It'll be fun, they said.

But to be honest, I have had much more pain with amdgpu than with Nvidia proprietary driver.
                  To be fair, AMD would have been ready for DC/DAL a long while ago, it just happened to keep getting rejected because Linus didn't think it was ready/appropriate to be merged. Unless you have a Vega GPU or use HDMI audio with GCN 1.2, AMD right now is a good and pretty painless experience. On the other hand, I also feel like people's gripes with Nvidia are exaggerated or their own fault. The only pains I have with Nvidia have to do with libgl or installing drivers outside of my distro's repo.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    To be fair, AMD would have been ready for DC/DAL a long while ago, it just happened to keep getting rejected because Linus didn't think it was ready/appropriate to be merged. Unless you have a Vega GPU or use HDMI audio with GCN 1.2, AMD right now is a good and pretty painless experience. On the other hand, I also feel like people's gripes with Nvidia are exaggerated or their own fault. The only pains I have with Nvidia have to do with libgl or installing drivers outside of my distro's repo.
                    Well, it was more that AMD was developing their code and then Linux introduced new systems which made AMD's code obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                    X