No announcement yet.

Radeon vs. RadeonHD Fighting Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sundown, if you're using EXA with RadeonHD, you'll need to enable Option "DRI" aswell for now.

Well, I don't like fights. RadeonHD rocks, but having two drivers really is not a situation I'd like to see in the future.

Comment

I am happy I have a nvidia card right now

No stupid drver arguments, no having to install from git, just download and run the installer

Comment

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
        I am happy I have a nvidia card right now

No stupid drver arguments, no having to install from git, just download and run the installer
        yes, instead im sorry to have bought an ati card for the fourth time. but for sure, this is the last time amd/ati gets fun of my intelligence as a consumer.

Comment

I really don't like what Phoronix is turning into =(

Why start a fight among our selfs?

I always click on a couple of banners, when Phoronix have done a good article, but I simply can't justify clicking on any banners anymore when the trend seams to be "let's make a war between Linux contributors".

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
            I really don't like what Phoronix is turning into =(

Why start a fight among our selfs?

I always click on a couple of banners, when Phoronix have done a good article, but I simply can't justify clicking on any banners anymore when the trend seams to be "let's make a war between Linux contributors".
            Huh? We're not trying to start a war... We're just informing on what's already happening within the Linux community.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Huh? We're not trying to start a war... We're just informing on what's already happening within the Linux community.
              View this thread to read the latest on the Radeon vs. RadeonHD fighting among Luc, Daniel, Keith Packard, and others.
              That is setting up a fight =( You could just as well have written "get the pop corns, and enjoy the fight at this link. In the left corner..."

Comment

I'm with the staff here. They did not set up a fight. They just pointed out what happened recently. What fuels the discussion is what happened over there in the XOrg base not a topic informing about what happened. And after all this drop-request is not something light or a small patch not important to anybody and his dog but one which aims to kill off a driver.

Duplicate drivers never had been a good idea but this here is a different situation. Both drivers suck in their own rights and work in others. We have therefore two half-arsed and broken drivers whereas for one is less broken for a different group of people. It should be aimed to boil things down to one driver and a working one on top of it. Chances are an open fight is needed to sort this out. Looks like there are a couple of non-team-player developers over there in the XOrg base which try to fight through their solution without looking left and right.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                  I'm with the staff here. They did not set up a fight. They just pointed out what happened recently. What fuels the discussion is what happened over there in the XOrg base not a topic informing about what happened. And after all this drop-request is not something light or a small patch not important to anybody and his dog but one which aims to kill off a driver.

Duplicate drivers never had been a good idea but this here is a different situation. Both drivers suck in their own rights and work in others. We have therefore two half-arsed and broken drivers whereas for one is less broken for a different group of people. It should be aimed to boil things down to one driver and a working one on top of it. Chances are an open fight is needed to sort this out. Looks like there are a couple of non-team-player developers over there in the XOrg base which try to fight through their solution without looking left and right.
                  Phoronix choose the headline "Radeon vs. RadeonHD Fighting Continues" and not "XOrg decided to drop RadeonHD".

Comment

a classic reason why open source sucks balls!

FFS it took so much for AMD to give away the crown jewels in order to conform to the FOSS politics and now the code monkeys still cannot get a driver out? So much for FOSS whining about closed-source hardware specs, the real reason for poor hardware support is clearly the nature of FOSS itself - too many chiefs, not enough indians!

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                      That is setting up a fight =( You could just as well have written "get the pop corns, and enjoy the fight at this link. In the left corner..."
                      That's not setting up a fight. The fight already started and phoronix had nothing to do with it. This isn't a case of Phoronix emulating Fox News by picking sides and running with it. This little article is of great interest in particular to many members of this site as it does directly effect them. With opensource you have to be willing to take the good, the bad and the ugly. You want secrets behind doors then support your favorite closed source developer.

Originally posted by an0n1m0us View Post
                      So much for FOSS whining about closed-source hardware specs, the real reason for poor hardware support is clearly the nature of FOSS itself - too many chiefs, not enough indians!
                      That's always been one of the pitfalls of FOSS.

Comment

Working...
                      X