Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Radeon Gaming Performance With Linux 4.13 + Mesa 17.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

Is that Windows Subsystem for Linux running on WINE?
    It's a Linux Subsystem for Windows

But no, if that's what you think — the background window is a graphical editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      IMO, it would be really cool to also see some future Wine Staging + CSMT tests vs Linux Native vs Windows 10 tests with RadeonSI w/ 4.13 + Mesa 17.2-git (or newer)
      if you are using radeon with the opensource stack, csmt is irrelevant, as gallium nine reaches far more fps (like the double) with less cpu overhead (no stuttering)

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
        But now all the more eager to get an honest answer from the developers: any plans to combine this OGL driver with Windows OpenGL ? That is Windows/Linux..
        When the driver will become common ?
        this was the proprietary driver, that share a common stack on windows and linux
        the opensource drivers are based on the mesa3d library, that doesn't run on windows

Comment

I don't get why Michael would not benchmark CS:GO and Dota 2 man, is it worthless comparing that or what's the deal. Anyway, Linux gaming is becoming a thing, f'ing awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            This is very impressive - especially when we take into account that some titles are just ports / "emulated" / wrapped / API-layered and possibly done in a rush an unpolished.

Yes, the mining rush was bad. Maybe not bad for AMD, but bad for everyone else who wanted to have some RX GPU. Even the less high-end RX 560 was influenced - esp. 4GB variants unavailable and then with silly pricings (from maybe 120 Euros up to more than 150).
            I think it's bad for AMD though. Maybe they get some good numbers of sales now, maybe they get some good numbers in revenue now. But on the long term it's not looking any better. Right now their GPU success is tightly linked to the popularity of cryptovalutas and anyone who knows a bit about it, knows the stability can be very unreliable. They don't have any real users now, talking about rx 500 cards.

Their important customer base are still gamers and professional graphical doing things people, who will buy AMD, be convinced about AMD's quality and keep buying AMD in the future. Not those money mining people who will ditch you the next minute after there's a bad evolution in the cryptomarket scene, whether it's the valuta value gonig down or your competitor offering a better card for that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post

if you are using radeon with the opensource stack, csmt is irrelevant, as gallium nine reaches far more fps (like the double) with less cpu overhead (no stuttering)
              Unless you are trying to run a D3D10 or D3D11 game, because sadly gallium-eleven is no more

Comment

Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post

Unless you are trying to run a D3D10 or D3D11 game, because sadly gallium-eleven is no more
                Yeah, and that's a shame too. Because the way wine does CSMT means that it will always and forever be -the- CPU bottleneck when gaming. It's unfixable unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yeah, and that's a shame too. Because the way wine does CSMT means that it will always and forever be -the- CPU bottleneck when gaming. It's unfixable unfortunately.
                  Can you elaborate, please?

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                    Can you elaborate, please?
                    Because wine CSMT issues CPU threads like literally crazy, I really mean insane. The CPU is literally bashed. My advice is to check it out for yourself. All you need is top.

EDIT: I can't even imagine how many context switches its doing, must be thousands. Literal insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Because wine CSMT issues CPU threads like literally crazy, I really mean insane. The CPU is literally bashed. My advice is to check it out for yourself. All you need is top.

EDIT: I can't even imagine how many context switches its doing, must be thousands. Literal insanity.
                      Well, I am not sure if I'm doing it right, but I made an experiment as: I ran a Unity game "DungeonNightmares" both with and without CSMT enabled, and used `top -H -p <the-pid>` to see all threads. The number of threads is 21 with CSMT and 20 without it. So I can infer CSMT creates a single thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X