No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Radeon Gaming Performance With Linux 4.13 + Mesa 17.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy penguin, close to Windows performance with ports. This looks very good for future native Vulkan games. Time to build a mancave for Star Citizen. While Vega on windows looks disappointing with "only" 1080 Performance, I bet the numbers will change once the code is implemented and "refined" on Linux.

I have spoken with quite some peeps out there and got them to the "try Linux and make your own impression" stage (mostly gamers) and the feedback is quite nice! Only disadvantage is, that they don't like compiling (which I can see is nothing for average-joe) - but I'm confident, that the gaming future looks bright for Linux.

Good job Devs and thanks Michael for testing!

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      Is that Windows Subsystem for Linux running on WINE?

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
        good, very good, we are at the point when NATIVE titles are faster on linux, and thats not a little thing
        thanks, marek
        You mean Xonotic? Xonotic has a RunSlowerOnWindows() function built in.

Comment

When Vega comes out, Micheal it would be interesting to see also low percentile benchmark results because apparently Vega helps significantly with minimal framerates and I'd hope that holds true for Linux also?

Comment

Well done, Team Red.

Comment

The main reason I've moved from fglrx at the time to OSS drivers was actually 2d browser thing, both nvidia and AMD proprietary drivers for Linux used their own implementation not following X.Org standards, as an result of that, with those drivers "window.requestAnimationFrame" would always detect 60Hz even if refresh rate is higher, resulting in very unpleasant browsing experience with higher refresh rate. After AMD abandoned fglrx, it proved to be right decision, and Mesa improving quite a lot only made it even better. I don't know if that is still the case for nvidia drivers (I assume it is, last time I checked was half a year ago or maybe whole year..., nouveau serving the purpose well for those workflows...) but it wasn't the problem only for GNU/Linux, for Windows versions before Windows 8, same thing happened, Windows 10 did not have that problem while WIndows 7 did...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Which doesn't work on Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                    If the miners let you get one and in the right price...
                    That exactly!

Here in Germany most AMD GPUs are not to be found online or with prices above all good.
                    An 8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse could be found for 250 EUR in May, but would now cost about 399 EUR (if not sold out). *sigh*

Comment

This is very impressive - especially when we take into account that some titles are just ports / "emulated" / wrapped / API-layered and possibly done in a rush an unpolished.

Yes, the mining rush was bad. Maybe not bad for AMD, but bad for everyone else who wanted to have some RX GPU. Even the less high-end RX 560 was influenced - esp. 4GB variants unavailable and then with silly pricings (from maybe 120 Euros up to more than 150).
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X