Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Radeon Gaming Performance With Linux 4.13 + Mesa 17.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
    My next GPU is definitively an AMD one then!
    If the miners let you get one and in the right price...

Comment

The last months have been purely amazing, not a single day without good improvements!

Comment

IMO, it would be really cool to also see some future Wine Staging + CSMT tests vs Linux Native vs Windows 10 tests with RadeonSI w/ 4.13 + Mesa 17.2-git (or newer) & Nvidia drivers. Wine progress has also been awesome and many Direct3D 11 apps like Unreal Quest are now working and it would be interesting to see how things compare with the fast Mesa stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
          IMO, it would be really cool to also see some future Wine Staging + CSMT tests vs Linux Native vs Windows 10 tests with RadeonSI w/ 4.13 + Mesa 17.2-git (or newer) & Nvidia drivers. Wine progress has also been awesome and many Direct3D 11 apps like Unreal Quest are now working and it would be interesting to see how things compare with the fast Mesa stack.
          It would also be really cool if these tests were worthwhile where it doesn't basically cost me money running all these tests versus getting usually only a few tips and none to a few new subscribers... Alas, it doesn't happen, that's why those sorts of larger tests aren't done since they are not worthwhile.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            It would also be really cool if these tests were worthwhile where it doesn't basically cost me money running all these tests versus getting usually only a few tips and none to a few new subscribers... Alas, it doesn't happen, that's why those sorts of larger tests aren't done since they are not worthwhile.
            Michael, Windows user base is a lot greater than Linux. So Comparing the two platforms with both vendors together, will probably give you extra viewers. Also you may help some people take the decision to use Linux.

As for the tests, native titles are faster on the better free drivers and ported titles are slightly slower because they doing extra work.

Comment

I'm going to switch to RX Vega 64 from GTX 1080 when it will be supported in stable kernel and git mesa.
              In Marek we trust!

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                It's all quite exciting however I want to see multiple screenshots of the tested games as PNG files and then I will believe my eyes
                You'll be disappointed, nVidia has a really bad history with side by sides......

Comment

I'm fairly encouraged by the results here. Obviously the performance is getting there.

Comment

Now I hope AMD will merge display code before Vega 11 launch.

Comment

Kudos to the open source developers ! You achieved so much since Ubuntu 14.04 (my first distro).

Comment

Working...
                      X