Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humbug
    replied
    Will there ever be a way for AMD to push the code in this now very performant openGL driver over to windows users as part of the crimson driver?
    Windows users are still stuck with the slower proprietary openGL implementation. And that is not ideal for the openGL ecosystem.

The more uniformity the better.
    e.g. AMD plans to share the same vulkan driver between windows and Linux by opening up amdgpu pro Vulkan
    and Nvidia too gives similar openGL results on linux vs windows

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    70% of the performance of the proprietary driver we will get, they said.

Leave a comment:

• humbug
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    It seems that something is heavily bottlenecking pro driver performance. Too much "good" old fglrx code still there?

As DOTA is affected, and Vulkan is available in DOTA, running the exact same tests using the Vulkan renderer would be interesting, to see if the "hard cap" goes away.
    amdgpu pro does not have a good openGL implementation. For gaming AMD devs for years have been focusing on the free openGL implementation in Mesa.

amdgpu pro does have a pretty good Vulkan driver implementation though.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised if those games will soon be able to compete with dx on windows
    It would be nice to see a comparison. Maybe RadeonSI isn't very fast after all but AMGPU-PRO is very slow.

Leave a comment:

• fusionS
    replied
    If we now also could have OpenCL for all possible CIK (actually non ROCm compatible) devices including the SOCs (G series etc). Some love for Clover or hybrid pro OCL part...

Leave a comment:

• edoantonioco
    replied
    I wouldnt be surprised if those games will soon be able to compete with dx on windows

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    It seems that something is heavily bottlenecking pro driver performance. Too much "good" old fglrx code still there?

As DOTA is affected, and Vulkan is available in DOTA, running the exact same tests using the Vulkan renderer would be interesting, to see if the "hard cap" goes away.

Leave a comment:

• andrebrait
    replied
    Wow. Just... wow.

The progress AMD has made with their drivers makes me want an AMD-powered laptop as soon as I can get one. I'd be happy using NVIDIA but their attitude towards free drivers is just... bad.

AMD is showing how to do things properly for Linux (I know it's not perfect with the whole DAL/DC situation, but still).

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by boffo View Post
    And I was the one asking what they where going to do after OpenGL 4.5 ...
    Good Job!
    OpenGL 4.6

Leave a comment:

• pracedru
    replied
    Wau. Pretty awesome progress.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X