Some AMD Grenada Cards Have Been Borked On The Open-Source Driver For 2 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    Michael should add a Dislike button as well, next to the Like one.
    I vote for Like and Dislike buttons for articles.

Comment

I had problems before, and I had to use the dpm workaround for a while, but it got fixed after I upgraded the kernel. It works perfect on the stock kernel for Ubuntu 17.04 64 bits

My card model is:
      Saphire 390X Tri-X OC version
      (8GB GDDR5, dvi, hdmi and triple displayport)

I can confirm I no longer need to diable DPM. I also tried AMDGPU module, but it made some artifacts before asking for my encryption passwrod when booting my PC, and it took a little bit longer to start than the Radeon module, so I kept using radeon. It did work anyway, but games would take a little longer to launch, like they would get stuck and show some artifacts for a few seconds before properly starting (and it ran a little slower).

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I don't remember hearing about this before - just checking, is this with the AMDGPU-PRO driver installed on a stock supported distro (ie without a new kernel) ? I'm asking because there was some bad advice going around saying that a custom-built kernel was required to use AMDGPU-PRO on CI, and that caused a lot of grief for customers.
        Short answer: Yes. I experience these problems with the respective default kernel of officially supported distributions.
        The installation followed strictly the documentation provided by the AMD install notes on the amdgpu-pro release site with no additional modifications to the underlying system.

I tried Centos 6.8 and 7.3 aswell as OpenSuse Enterprise 12 and ubuntu (gnome) 16.04.
        I tried every release of the amdgpu-pro driver from version 16.3 to 17.10

If there is any additional information with which I can help you pinpoint the issue feel free to ask.

Comment

I have the same problem with my R9 390. I've tried everything (firmware, kernel's etc) but no avail. With the latest kernels the core clock works, but every time the driver tries to change the memory clock, it crashes the system. AMDGPU-pro does not work either. This bug is kinda weird since not many people have it and make me wonder: what makes our cards specifically break the driver, where others do not? And furthermore, why the bug is not fixed yet? Does it need a bios update? The problem is tedious that I wouldn't hesitate to try anything to solve it.

Comment

R9 390 owner here. Prior to 4.12 kernel everything was working fine, looks like 4.12 is being hit by a performance regression. (at least on Ballistic Overkill). I wrote about here http://steamcommunity.com/app/296300...1444336762752/

Comment

Originally posted by klapeto View Post
              I have the same problem with my R9 390. I've tried everything (firmware, kernel's etc) but no avail. With the latest kernels the core clock works, but every time the driver tries to change the memory clock, it crashes the system. AMDGPU-pro does not work either. This bug is kinda weird since not many people have it and make me wonder: what makes our cards specifically break the driver, where others do not? And furthermore, why the bug is not fixed yet? Does it need a bios update? The problem is tedious that I wouldn't hesitate to try anything to solve it.
              I can say that, atleast in my particular case, while forcing a different DPM mode may make the system appear to lock-up (virtually freezing the X server and making everything appear static), it hasn't actually crashed. I can still SSH into my system (or swap to a different TTY if i'm patient), and use the DPM force override to "revive" the X server (by forcing the performance mode back to "high"), no restart needed for anything. Of course, this is still a major annoyance and does need to be fixed.

Comment

I think it's good idea to check if issue is reproducible on 16.04 with AMDGPU-PRO, and then contact tech.support: http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact/email-form

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                  I wonder how many of these types of issues are caused by a faulty bios ? I'm sure some of them gets by on windows but get exposed under linux., especially once the vendors have added their own custom cooling. Just looking at the VGA Bios Collection at Techpowerup there are 88 bios's for the R290, 100 for the 290X. In both of those listed only 3 in each group are from ATI.
                  A friend had blackscreen issues on Windows with his R9 290 Tri-X from Sapphire. These were solved with an official BIOS update found on some forum, as Sapphire is reluctant to provide it on their website.

Comment

Working...
                  X