Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Days Away From Branching, How Mesa 17.2 RadeonSI Performance Compares To Mesa 17.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    those pesky patches are for kernel, while mesa is userspace
    Yes, but it's the same development team. Doesn't matter who is doing what if that person could have spent time working on something else.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
      Now that's interesting to know, thanks. I've been waiting for the polaris prices to drop, but id doesn't seem it will, while I can find that one for about €120, which is tempting...
      Now, if one of those could come under €100... :P
      Wait for the Etherium mining craze to die down or end. At that point you can get yourself a bunch of used or refurbished Polaris' for cheap. I've thrown around the idea of a tri-Xfire RX 580 build once all those GPUs are on the market again. Basically 1080Ti performance for what may have half the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        I'm sorry, but I happen to be a grown man who doesn't play video games. Wake me when the OpenCL stack crap is finally 1.2 or newer and not requiring a custom AMD Kernel to hook into to work. FPS is a wet dream for too many grown ups. Find a profession that isn't fantasizing about being a sniper, a race car driver, or some alien on another planet to burn your life force away.

Create something. Anything.
        In order for the thing you create to be worth anything, someone must enjoy it. Homer is notable not because of the stories he told, but because people listened to (and now read) those stories.

What's a road with no one to drive on it?

I do make things all day, five days a week. Sometimes, I make things in my off time. Sometimes, though, I wanna see what awesome things someone else has made, and enjoy those things.

If everyone held your opinion, we'd spend our lives making things for the benefit and enjoyment of no one.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
          In Linux unless I run the card on the lower profile the card will get hot and crash in a matter of 20-30 minutes (running games this is, desktop/multimedia is 100% fine), as there is no effective tweaking from the OS other than attaching a second monitor that makes the RAM run at a higher clock speed (Yes DRM bug it seems) I have to run most games at 25fps. However with latest mesa I have noticed that some games (Specially Borderlands 2/Pre) now run much much better and the card doesn't get as hot.
          It seems not all 290s are equal. For example, Michael's 290 was un-testable for several months (maybe even over a year?), meanwhile mine ran flawlessly throughout that time. Perhaps for you, the GPU is increasing clock rates but the fan stays at its lowest speed. Without being able to dissipate heat quickly enough, it just powers off.
          I would love if besides improving Mesa there was some kind of way we could tweak the cards in Linux, as I'm sure I can make the card run fine if that was the case.
          I agree, that would be very nice. Except for Nvidia "coolbits", we're greatly lacking any GPU tweak tools. Not even firmware editors or uploaders (though I'm sure the editors work in wine). At the very least, something to manually define the power profile and fan speeds would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

I'm guessing the same probably is not a regression but a missing step on the render before that now works properly and show real FPS
            I don't understand. Would please explain why you think the Mad Max FPS is unrealistic?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Yes, but it's the same development team. Doesn't matter who is doing what if that person could have spent time working on something else.
              same organization, different teams, different people, different skillset

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                Would please explain why you think the Mad Max FPS is unrealistic?
                he is talking about radv losing half of fps from 17.1 to 17.2. so the questions whether 17.1 just skipped some work or 17.2 seriously regressed

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  same organization, different teams, different people, different skillset
                  Do you know that, or are you just assuming that since that's how things typically work? I get the impression AMD's GPU development team is a bit more dynamic than most. After all, look at all the varying features Marek works on - there is very little consistency in his workload. Besides, of the person/people working on DC/DAL, what exactly would they do once they're done working on it? As far as I'm aware, AMD's Linux dev team is relatively small (compared to Intel's, for example) where the devs wear many hats. That being said, if this was Intel we were talking about (or Nvidia with their closed drivers), I'm certain you'd be right.

Comment

Different teams in different parts of the SW org.
                    Test signature

Comment

It seems not all 290s are equal. For example, Michael's 290 was un-testable for several months (maybe even over a year?), meanwhile mine ran flawlessly throughout that time. Perhaps for you, the GPU is increasing clock rates but the fan stays at its lowest speed. Without being able to dissipate heat quickly enough, it just powers off.

I agree, that would be very nice. Except for Nvidia "coolbits", we're greatly lacking any GPU tweak tools. Not even firmware editors or uploaders (though I'm sure the editors work in wine). At the very least, something to manually define the power profile and fan speeds would be nice.
                      Yes, I had lots of conversations online about it and my 290 while certainly not as bad as Michael's crashes and behaves abnormally on Linux while does not have any problem in Windows, at some point on another forum a chap pointed me out to a bios update that made the card run much better (got 10fps more on Windows side). But I have had such a shit experience for so long in Linux that I got me a 480 for my second PC.

Something I noticed on the 290 under Linux is that the shader and memory clock either run at lower values or the highest possible, never ever on the middle, this is the only card I have seen exhibiting this behavior, and only does it on Linux, my impression is that this is a dpm kernel bug of some sort.

In my current set-up with latest Mesa only heavy games like "Dying Light", "Shadow of Mordor" or "Witcher 2" will crash the 290, before it was any game if run for a sufficient amount of time (between 20mins and 1h)

Since the beginning setting the card to the lower DPM profile will make everything run dog slow but it will not crash, with this new mesa release all things run more fluid even on the lower profile.

At the very least, something to manually define the power profile and fan speeds would be nice.
                      Indeed that's all I want, I do not care about bios editors, I'm content with the cards as they are, I'm not a fan of overclocking, but in this situation I would love to be able to under-clock to keep the card from crashing.

This is similar to the Linux kernel not being able to read the CPU temperature on Ryzens... why? why do we always seem to have most of the fine easy to implement details missing.

Comment

Working...
                      X