Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Days Away From Branching, How Mesa 17.2 RadeonSI Performance Compares To Mesa 17.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
    i hope we could get this performance improvements on intel too
    glthread works for intel, but i doubt intel will be cpu bound

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by guglovich View Post
    Zero increment in Bioshock. AMD RX 460
    maybe with your card it is not cpu bound

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Imagine how much faster progress would be if those pesky DC/DAL patches weren't in the way.
    those pesky patches are for kernel, while mesa is userspace
    Last edited by pal666; 17 July 2017, 06:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• M@yeulC
    replied
    The 290 is roughly on-par with the 480, better in some ways, worse in others. Your GPU must be seriously throttling its performance if yours is half as fast as a 480.
    Now that's interesting to know, thanks. I've been waiting for the polaris prices to drop, but id doesn't seem it will, while I can find that one for about €120, which is tempting...
    Now, if one of those could come under €100... :P

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    i hope we could get this performance improvements on intel too

Leave a comment:

• puleglot
    replied
    Originally posted by guglovich View Post
    The game is probably GPU-bound on you hardware.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    I agree - in fact, I think the PSU I tested with actually has 3 rails. Really terrible unit, but I got it for free, and it is good enough when trying to test PCs that won't turn on. Multi-rail PSUs do have a good use when you want to ensure a device get un-interrupted stability. But most of the time, you don't even know which cords go to which rail(s), and most motherboards and GPUs have pretty good VRMs to make up for unstable power. Many PSUs cheat, where they take a 12v source and just split it in half, which accomplishes nothing. So generally, multi-rail is pretty stupid, and today serves more as a marketing gimmick. If you just get a unit with plenty of watts to spare, you should be fine with 1 rail.

Weird, that Sapphire model should've run plenty cool enough to not thermal-throttle. Perhaps your 550W PSU was the problem - I've heard brownouts can cause permanent damage. Also, if you used a single Y-cable after switching to the 750W unit, that might have had something to do with instability too. You should avoid doing that on high-wattage cards like this.
    That 550w PSU worked fine while I used it with a 6970. Once I upgraded to the R9 290, it would shutdown after booting to a composite desktop. The 750w PSU fixed that.

Leave a comment:

• guglovich
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wielkie G
    replied
    RADV regression due to this?

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I know people like dual rail power supplies, but that reason right there is exactly why I recommend to people single rail power supplies.
    I agree - in fact, I think the PSU I tested with actually has 3 rails. Really terrible unit, but I got it for free, and it is good enough when trying to test PCs that won't turn on. Multi-rail PSUs do have a good use when you want to ensure a device get un-interrupted stability. But most of the time, you don't even know which cords go to which rail(s), and most motherboards and GPUs have pretty good VRMs to make up for unstable power. Many PSUs cheat, where they take a 12v source and just split it in half, which accomplishes nothing. So generally, multi-rail is pretty stupid, and today serves more as a marketing gimmick. If you just get a unit with plenty of watts to spare, you should be fine with 1 rail.

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    At the time, my combo was a FX-8350 (125w TPD) and a Sapphire Toxic R9 290 (3 coolers). My Corsair 550w PSU couldn't power it, so I bought a EVGA 750w PSU, and the thing worked fine until the 290 started displaying graphics artifacts. I tested it in 3 different combinations of mobos and PSUs on friends PCs, so I had to let it go.
    Weird, that Sapphire model should've run plenty cool enough to not thermal-throttle. Perhaps your 550W PSU was the problem - I've heard brownouts can cause permanent damage. Also, if you used a single Y-cable after switching to the 750W unit, that might have had something to do with instability too. You should avoid doing that on high-wattage cards like this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X