No announcement yet.

Bricked RX 560

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@debianxfce: ESD is not the problem here for sure. Thanks for the system upgrade tips; cheap and 40 % higher per-thread performance, and 2x the number of threads. But I'd really like to know why my current system kills these RX 560 cards...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I'm really surprised the chip isn't showing up at all.
      I tried booting the system with no graphics card at all, and I get the same BIOS beep as with the bricked RX 560 card. So I guess the beep means "no graphics card present".

Comment

Is it a single beep or some kind of short/long pattern ?
        Test signature

Comment

It's a single beep that sounds a bit distorted at the end. It could be a long/short pattern with very very fast pauses between the beeps - if so, it's so fast that it's not possible to count the individual beeps. The manual says 1 long, 2 short is "monitor or graphics card error"... it could be that signal, but I'm not sure.

Comment

i don't know whether this is the case with you PC but on mine the fancontrol config util (pwmconfig) stopped the GPU (RX 460) fan after running and did never restart it. I had to manually set the fan back to auto (or max) over the files in /dev/* . All other fans in the system restarted fine. After that happend i lost interest in trying fancontrol and never used it.
            Luckily i realized it before it could harm my card because the card is normally the loudest part of my PC and because of this it is very apparent if the fans stop working.
            You could RMA the card again (at least in Germany this is very easy because the in the first months after buying the shop would have to proof it is your fault the card is damaged, don't know if the law is as consumer friendly in the US) and try it without fancontrol. If the new cards fan does not spinn under linux without fancontrol it is not fancontrols fault, if it does and doesn't with fancontrol you should report this as a bug to them. (and a pretty serious one as well)
            If the fans of the new card do not work at all, something is seriously wrong with you system. In this case you could boot from a live ubuntu DVD/USB to look whether it is a software issue.

edit:
            you need to put the gpu under light load to test the fans, because without load/minimal load they won't start at all. glxgears with disabled vsync should be enough.
            Last edited by QuImUfu; 21 July 2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I also have a Gigabyte rx460 2GB. But it is (under load) louder than my CPU and PSU fan.
              Still not really loud tho.

Comment

Originally posted by QuImUfu View Post
                i don't know whether this is the case with you PC but on mine the fancontrol config util (pwmconfig) stopped the GPU (RX 460) fan after running and did never restart it. I had to manually set the fan back to auto (or max) over the files in /dev/* . All other fans in the system restarted fine. After that happend i lost interest in trying fancontrol and never used it.
                Thanks QuImUfu, that's very interesting indeed! (So that should mean that ANY card could be a so-called hybrid card, i.e. a card that's passively cooled when load is low - if I could get fancontrol to work correctly? Since "hybrid cooling" is a big selling point of these cards I assumed there would be no control of their fans from software.)

@bridgman: So assuming fancontrol is to blame and it actually prevents the GPU fan from running, is a broken card a likely outcome, or should it throttle and shut off if it gets too hot over the course of say, an hour?

Comment

Originally posted by bitnick View Post
                  @bridgman: So assuming fancontrol is to blame and it actually prevents the GPU fan from running, is a broken card a likely outcome, or should it throttle and shut off if it gets too hot over the course of say, an hour?
                  The idea of thermal cutoff is to avoid damaging the chip, but its ability to protect is going to depend on how quickly the die is heating up... ie whether the temperature sensor is able to detect an overheat situation, cut off power (not sure if that happens internally or by telling the VRMs to shut down) and have the capacitors bleed down before some other part of the chip has overheated to the point where damage occurs.

My best guess right now is that you were more lucky than normal with the first card (sounds like it went into thermal shutdown a dozen or so times before finally sustaining damage) and less lucky than normal with the second card.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 25 July 2017, 06:19 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

hit return

Comment

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post
                      hit return
                      huh ?
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X