Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bitnick View Post
    <apparently I'm not allowed to create attachments...>
    Yeah, you need to post the picture somewhere else (whatever photo posting site hasn't closed its doors and eaten your pictures yet) and then use an IMG link here. Agree that cover shouldn't matter - don't think I have seen a PC with cover on in the last 5 years (and that was when everyone was moving to new cubicles so had to pack all their systems up for the movers).

That said, a case fan isn't going to make much difference unless you remove the card's shroud and fan (which I am not recommending) and even then it's only going to have a tiny effect relative to a shrouded fan right by the sink.
    Last edited by bridgman; 07-14-2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Not sure what impact sudo has on lspci, but guessing it didn't show up in non-sudo lspci either ? I'm really surprised the chip isn't showing up at all. I expect you are already keeping the system powered off when you are not actively testing something but if you aren't then you should.
      lspci showed all the other things on the bus, like network cards, bridges etc. I think the card is genuinely very dead, and that's why it doesn't show up. Yes, I'm keeping the system powered off when not collecting data.

Problem is that if it's not showing up in lspci then you probably aren't getting VBIOS posting either, and that's what normally sets up fan control & thermal controls. Probably worth doing the obligatory "remove the card, check pins, re-seat, try another slot if you have one" thing but I doubt that will make a difference.
      I had to remove the bricked card and use an old HD 3870 (in the same slot) to install sshd, then put the new, bricked card back before I could do the lspci and sensors stuff, so that's already been done. And the system works fine with the HD 3870.

I didn't see anything particularly suspicious looking in the logs -- IIRC all three of those messages are generally benign.
      Ok... so, any recommendations on what to do now? I really feel I'm not to blame for this situation since I've just plugged the card in and used reasonably up-to-date, official drivers, and haven't done anything weird, as far as I can tell. But it would be a lot easier to RMA the card if I had some explanation for what's happened.

Edit: ... and what do I do if I do get a new card? I don't want to brick another one. Sure, I guess I could install linux-4.12 and disable fancontrol, but none of those seems like the clear culprit, right? I could hook up a thermocouple to the heatsink and monitor the temperature I guess... *sigh*

Edit: I fixed the image post so that it links to an imgur image.
      Last edited by bitnick; 07-14-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Ok... so, any recommendations on what to do now?
        Ground yourself to the wall socket grounding pin and do not touch connector pins when installing gpu cards. Use latest Linux software and drivers. Win10 is free, you can test with it. Buy gpu cards from Asus and Gigabyte only. Sold your old dual core intel stuff and buy newer quad core stuff, with about 100 usd you can have a Gigabyte A88X motherboard and Amd X4 845 cpu.
        Last edited by debianxfce; 07-15-2017, 12:21 AM.

Comment

@debianxfce: ESD is not the problem here for sure. Thanks for the system upgrade tips; cheap and 40 % higher per-thread performance, and 2x the number of threads. But I'd really like to know why my current system kills these RX 560 cards...

Comment

I'm really surprised the chip isn't showing up at all.
            I tried booting the system with no graphics card at all, and I get the same BIOS beep as with the bricked RX 560 card. So I guess the beep means "no graphics card present".

Comment

Is it a single beep or some kind of short/long pattern ?

Comment

It's a single beep that sounds a bit distorted at the end. It could be a long/short pattern with very very fast pauses between the beeps - if so, it's so fast that it's not possible to count the individual beeps. The manual says 1 long, 2 short is "monitor or graphics card error"... it could be that signal, but I'm not sure.

Comment

@debianxfce: ESD is not the problem here for sure. Thanks for the system upgrade tips; cheap and 40 % higher per-thread performance, and 2x the number of threads. But I'd really like to know why my current system kills these RX 560 cards...
                  You did get that 40% value from cpuboss, right...Many cpu benchmarking sites uses tests that cheats you to believe that Intel is better. Wintel religion and conspiracy is only for stealing your money. Point is to build working computers, mine non intel pc is working fine, yours intel not. My kid does have Gigabyte A88X motherboard and RX460 and that pc works fine too.
                  Last edited by debianxfce; 07-17-2017, 03:54 AM.

Comment

i don't know whether this is the case with you PC but on mine the fancontrol config util (pwmconfig) stopped the GPU (RX 460) fan after running and did never restart it. I had to manually set the fan back to auto (or max) over the files in /dev/* . All other fans in the system restarted fine. After that happend i lost interest in trying fancontrol and never used it.
                    Luckily i realized it before it could harm my card because the card is normally the loudest part of my PC and because of this it is very apparent if the fans stop working.
                    You could RMA the card again (at least in Germany this is very easy because the in the first months after buying the shop would have to proof it is your fault the card is damaged, don't know if the law is as consumer friendly in the US) and try it without fancontrol. If the new cards fan does not spinn under linux without fancontrol it is not fancontrols fault, if it does and doesn't with fancontrol you should report this as a bug to them. (and a pretty serious one as well)
                    If the fans of the new card do not work at all, something is seriously wrong with you system. In this case you could boot from a live ubuntu DVD/USB to look whether it is a software issue.

edit:
                    you need to put the gpu under light load to test the fans, because without load/minimal load they won't start at all. glxgears with disabled vsync should be enough.
                    Last edited by QuImUfu; 07-21-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QuImUfu View Post
                      imy card because the card is normally the loudest part of my PC
                      Our two Gigabyte rx460 2GB cards are the quietest part of computers. No need for any third party software with the latest agd5f wip kernel.

Comment

Working...
                      X