Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

amd-mainline-hybrid builds for Fedora (amdgpu)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
    Are you able to run the latest 4.12.8 staging kernel? No one has complained, so I assume that one still works too.
    Yes, 4.12.8 staging kernel runs on my system with extra parameter "amdgpu.cik_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0".
    It seems amdgpu CIK is not enabled by default unlike the AMD mainline kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Yes, 4.12.8 staging kernel runs on my system with extra parameter "amdgpu.cik_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0".
      It seems amdgpu CIK is not enabled by default unlike the AMD mainline kernel.
      Mainline should have SI and CIK enabled by default IIRC. Unfortunately I can't reproduce this issue. I would guess making a bug report on freedesktop's bugzilla or message agd5f directly.

Comment

Mystro256 - I much appreciate your work on packaging a patched kernel for Fedora 26, thank you!

However, I've run into some snags: I'm attempting to use the amd-mainline-kernel to run my brand spanking new Vega 56. Running glxgears, I get the expected:

Code:
        amdgpu: LLVM 5.0 is required, got LLVM 4.0
        And the slightly more mysterious:

Code:
        do_winsys_init: DRM version is 3.18.0 but this driver is only compatible with 2.12.0 (kernel 3.2) or later.
        In any case, the Vega stuff is present in LLVM 5 - My feeble google-fu seems has not revealed to me how to best go about running a later version of LLVM than the default F26 one (4.0.1). Trying che/llvm and che/mesa seems to require removing a lot of dependencies that sound highly likely to break stuff, and just doing a "make install" might be pretty hard to clean up after. Any tips on how to go ahead?

Comment

Since I can't seem to find the edit function, I'll just reply to myself - Elegance!

After a little back-and forth, I just went ahead with the copr che/mesa and che/llvm - It turned out to work just swanky, provided I enabled both the 32 and 64 bit versions. With only the 64 bit repo, a lot of dependencies were missing but upon inspection those were mostly of 32-bit packages.

Anyhow, my Vega 56 is now chugging along just swanky, though getting freesync seems beyond my modest capabilities

Comment

Mystro256 I was wondering if you plan on packaging the mainline hybrid kernel for Fedora 27 at some point.

Comment

also after it for Fedora 27..

Comment

I haven't had HDMI sound since your last kernel, someone is updating this for ubuntu- but I don't want to go back there; I can't wrap my head around the kernel compilation steps https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu

EDIT: The instructions are scaryer than building the acual kernnel, it works! Took awwhile though, even on my ryzen 1700X. I don't have to plug in my USB sound card
                Last edited by jpenguin; 19 May 2018, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Creating a custom kernel image package is easy, fun and very useful. Then you can tune the kernel for your computer. A custom 1000Hz timer non debug kernel is much faster than distributions kernels. Here is how to do it in Debian, differences with other distributions is not so many. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3AxgH2bbsE
                  Hello debianxfce,

I just yesterday built a minimalist kernel to test WattMan, haven't done so since at least a year or so. Was a bit perplexed by some options, could you please share your own .config? I'm interested to see what works best for you. I've also pasted mine: https://hastebin.com/upitepejoh.ini , feel free to comment on it.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Here you are: http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta...ig-4.16.0-rc7+

Tell me when I can delete it. You are not using a non debug 1000Hz timer kernel. Cpu frequency scaling slows down, disable it and control you hw with bios. My kernel config is for gaming.
                    Thanks, I've downloaded it.

Comment

Working...
                    X