Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

amd-mainline-hybrid builds for Fedora (amdgpu)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • amd-mainline-hybrid builds for Fedora (amdgpu)

    Along with the builds I'm doing for the amd staging kernel, I'm now building the amd mainline kernel for Fedora. This should have all the goodies not in the upstream kernel, such as DC/DAL, Vega support, freesync, etc.

    This should give a more stable experience to those who don't care for the occasional regressions of the staging kernel builds. The amd mainline kernel should be more tested than staging, so it will be less likely to break from time to time. Similar to what I do with the staging kernel, I will be constantly patching this with upstream and Fedora fixes.

    Here's the source git:
    https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...ne-hybrid-4.11

    Please note that AFAIK, this is the same source that the AMDGPU-PRO dkms package is built from, so it does have the hybrid components in it too. Although, please note that I'm not building the amd libdrm fork, nor do I have interest in getting the whole AMDGPU-PRO stack working on Fedora.

    AFAIK this should work fine with radeonsi, but full disclaimer to use at your own risk.
    Although with that said, I'm using this on my own personal computer with a Polaris10/RX480/Ellesmere, and it seems nice and stable.

    Here's the COPR page:

    https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...inline-kernel/

    I also suggest installing the xorg driver if you plan to use amdgpu, as it's recommended by the developers:

    Code:
    sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu
    Last edited by Mystro256; 06-21-2017, 03:17 PM.

  • #2
    I just started to use this repository without blacklisting radeon module on the R7 M265DX + R5 M230 hybrid powered laptop. The initial boot temporarily locked up on the session before stabilizing.
    According to lspci -vv command:
    Code:
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R6 Graphics] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 222d
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 38
        Region 0: Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Region 2: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=8M]
        Region 4: I/O ports at f000 [size=256]
        Region 5: Memory at feb00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
        Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
        Kernel modules: amdgpu
    
    01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Jet PRO [Radeon R5 M230] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
        !!! Unknown header type 7f
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu
    It is interesting to see two modules on each GPU showing that the hybrid configuration functions as intended. From that test, modprobe.blacklist=kernel parameter from the boot process is no longer needed .
    I removed xorg-x11-drv-ati after installing amdgpu driver. The temporary lockup at login session is gone.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have attempted to run the amd prop vulkan on this by compiling amd's lib drm - the vulkan lib crashes. I think it doesn't yet support xorg 1.19

      But for me this kernel isn't freezing like the staging one was. Will try the staging kernel again in a few iterations and see if it is any better

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Grim85 View Post
        I have attempted to run the amd prop vulkan on this by compiling amd's lib drm - the vulkan lib crashes. I think it doesn't yet support xorg 1.19

        But for me this kernel isn't freezing like the staging one was. Will try the staging kernel again in a few iterations and see if it is any better
        Fair enough, the Pro driver is mostly targeted towards WS users, which i believe are typically EL6/7 and Ubuntu LTS, i.e. no xorg 1.19. I'm not familiar with the internals of the Vulkan lib, so I can't exactly comment on why it wouldn't work. I would think it would not depend on XOrg, but I wouldn't know. As well, there maybe another dependency besides libdrm.

        Note that the mainline kernel is much more tested and stable, while staging is more bleeding edge, so it's prone to break. Features eventually make it from the staging to the mainline, but this is a much slower process. Feel free to use the staging kernel though if you want the more bleeding edge experience.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by finalzone View Post
          I just started to use this repository without blacklisting radeon module on the R7 M265DX + R5 M230 hybrid powered laptop. The initial boot temporarily locked up on the session before stabilizing.
          According to lspci -vv command:
          Code:
          00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R6 Graphics] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
          Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 222d
          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
          Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
          Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
          Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 38
          Region 0: Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
          Region 2: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=8M]
          Region 4: I/O ports at f000 [size=256]
          Region 5: Memory at feb00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
          Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
          Capabilities: <access denied>
          Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
          Kernel modules: amdgpu
          
          01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Jet PRO [Radeon R5 M230] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
          !!! Unknown header type 7f
          Kernel driver in use: radeon
          Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu
          It is interesting to see two modules on each GPU showing that the hybrid configuration functions as intended. From that test, modprobe.blacklist=kernel parameter from the boot process is no longer needed .
          I removed xorg-x11-drv-ati after installing amdgpu driver. The temporary lockup at login session is gone.
          Interesting. I only have Polaris cards on hand, so I can't say how this runs on the older cards, but good to know it works for you.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

            Interesting. I only have Polaris cards on hand, so I can't say how this runs on the older cards, but good to know it works for you.
            Part the reason is found in this commit within agd5f's repository.
            So CIK has amgpu enabled by default and SI still uses radeon.

            Comment


            • #7
              Additional note related to post #6.
              When booting this amd-mainline-hybrid kernel, please use amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.si_support=0 as parameter to enable amdgpu module for SI graphic cards.
              modprobe.blacklist=radeon parameter is now obsolete by upstream.
              I confirm the test running with both dual Radeon cards from my laptop
              Code:
              00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R6 Graphics] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                  Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
                  Kernel modules: amdgpu
              
              01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Jet PRO [Radeon R5 M230] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
                  Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
                  Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

              Updating that info on the main COPR page will be nice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                Additional note related to post #6.
                When booting this amd-mainline-hybrid kernel, please use amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.si_support=0 as parameter to enable amdgpu module for SI graphic cards.
                modprobe.blacklist=radeon parameter is now obsolete by upstream.
                I confirm the test running with both dual Radeon cards from my laptop
                Code:
                00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R6 Graphics] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
                Kernel modules: amdgpu
                
                01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Jet PRO [Radeon R5 M230] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
                Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
                Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

                Updating that info on the main COPR page will be nice.
                Thanks, I'll do that right now. Someone else emailed me the other day about this but I didn't have time to update the notes.
                Last edited by Mystro256; 07-20-2017, 09:57 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Attempting to run kernel 4.12.8-20170825 led to a boot stuck with message "unable to access UEFI db".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                    Attempting to run kernel 4.12.8-20170825 led to a boot stuck with message "unable to access UEFI db".
                    Thanks, I haven't had time to test it after it was rebased to 4.12, I plan to look into it this weekend.

                    Are you able to run the latest 4.12.8 staging kernel? No one has complained, so I assume that one still works too.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X